#1 Tiffany Dang

Tiffany Dang
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Producer

Posted 17 April 2006 - 11:57 AM

Does anyone know...

My concern about shooting on memory card with HVX200 is how stable is it? Will it demagnetize, erase or creates glitches when the operator or anybody might transfer static when shooting or forgetting to turn off the cell phone, until the footages is archive or upload to the hard drive? I'm planning to shoot overseas with limited budget, therfore there's no reshoot.

Tiffany Dang

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 April 2006 - 04:15 PM

Hi,

Physically they're extremely robust - I've seen them hammered on until they were so bent they wouldn't slide into the camera, and once straightened out they were fine. They can't demagnetise because they're not magnetic.

They're about as electrically robust as a compactflash card, being the same technology. I would shy away from allowing them to be subjected to very high level postal biosecurity or checked-baggage X-rays (carryon baggage is probably fine). Theoretically static electricity could hurt them, but the contacts are hidden away (it's basically a PCMCIA card) and it's a stretch to think of that being an issue. I would suspect that they're much more reliable than the hard disk you're going to transfer them onto.

Phil

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

Glidecam

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

The Slider

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc