#1 Mihai Meda

Mihai Meda
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Student

Posted 17 April 2006 - 01:28 PM

Hello!

Are there any PL to BNCR adapter? I am looking into using a PL mount lens on my BNCR BL2 camera. I looked around and I couldn't find any. Do they make them? Average price?

Also (different topic), I thought you can use a PL lens on a BNCR camera, but not vice-versa (using a BNCR mount lens on a PL camera), due to the flange focal distance difference. But I just saw this picture. Just curious. I have the exact same lens (whole set - Canon K-35 in BNCR mount)

Canon_85mm_K35_PL_BNCR.jpg

And thanks for any pointers to PL-BNCR mount adapters.

Edited by bogpetri, 17 April 2006 - 01:29 PM.

#2 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 April 2006 - 03:09 PM

You can convert BNCR mount lenses to PL mount, but you have to rehouse them. When I spoke to Panavision UK a year ago about their Cooke Xtal Express lenses (Cooke S2s with an anamorphic front element, built by JDC), they mentioned that they were in the process of converting these lenses to PL mount.

#3 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 17 April 2006 - 03:50 PM

I don't think you have to completely rehouse them. The mount depths are so close that one can replace the mount from one to the other. Takes a machinist who knows what he's doing. Contact Les Bosher in the UK, or Jorge at CineTechniques in Florida. Some lenses might be shaped so that they could use a BNCR-to-PL adapter, but I would think that most would need to have the mounts replaced. And for old BNCR lenses, it's not as if there were ever PL mounts available for them, since the PL mount didn't even exist when most of them were made. So it would be a custom machining job.

Opal

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks