The Sun and a Bounce Board:

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 G . Stephen Bruno

G . Stephen Bruno
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2006 - 07:52 PM

Hi Guys/Gals,

This really should go in Lighitng, but seeing as I'm a student, I figure i'll post it here, in advance, please excuse my newbness.

Okay, Im shooting a Music Video next month and I have some performance shots that take place in a field, I know it's cliche, but, we're going for it anyway. I plan to key from behind/side with just the sun and then use some bounce boards to fill up front, Do you think this will this be enough?

If so, should I fill from 45 degrees or straight on? My instincts tell me to go at it from 45.

Also, does anyone have any tips for lighting with automobile lights, if I were to bounce the light from the car and use that as fill, do you think that would be to intense?

Hope this makes sense. Thanks for your time.

G. Stephen Bruno

#2 Frank Barrera

Frank Barrera
  • Sustaining Members
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 17 April 2006 - 08:43 PM

Yes, bounce from the sun will be plenty and maybe too much at times. Regardless, the bigger the source the better quality the light so a large bounce like a 12' X 12', 8' X 8' or 6' X 6' White Gryflon would be ideal. If you don't have the gear and/or man power to work that then at least a 4' X 8' White and Silver Bead Board would be good. If the clouds roll in you can try using the silver side to get more out of it. There is also the 4' X 4' mirror board bounce through a 4' X 4' frame of Opal, 250 or 216. Really you should have all of these tools to give you the most options.

In terms of the 45 degree concept I think it doesn't apply because #1 your source (the sun) will be a moving target all day long and #2 you should just adjust the bounce until it looks good to your eye and not due to some prescribed angle. After all it is a music video and artistic license is paramount.

As for the car headlights- it's not clear if you mean to use them at night or during the day. I'll assume it's during the night. Depending upon how fast your film stock or video camera is and how far away the subject is from the source you might not have enough light. Perhaps you could use small 12" X 12" mirrors and bounce the head lights direct or through a 4' X 4' frame of diffusion.

have fun

FB

Edited by Frank Barrera, 17 April 2006 - 08:45 PM.

#3 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:07 PM

90% of what we light for ext. day is with reflectors, beadboard, showcard, mirrors and foamcore. it gives you great light. Can't beat the sun as a lighting source.

#4 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:37 AM

90% of what we light for ext. day is with reflectors, beadboard, showcard, mirrors and foamcore. it gives you great light. Can't beat the sun as a lighting source.

90%?? Where is that number from?

best

Tim

#5 Tim Terner

Tim Terner
  • Sustaining Members
  • 340 posts
  • Producer
  • Prague, CZ

Posted 18 April 2006 - 04:04 AM

90%?? Where is that number from?

best

Tim

CV said 'we', probably meaning his own productions

#6 Adam White

Adam White
  • Sustaining Members
  • 135 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 April 2006 - 02:47 AM

the only two problems Ive had with shooting a lot of ext stuff using the sun are:

1) you are at the mercy of (shudder) clouds.
2) there realy is no limit to the types of materials you can use to bounce/reflect light. find what works best for you and have fun! Just dont end up a horder of stuff like me.

As to the car headlights, you may need more power, depending on distance/time of shoot/frame size ect. Are you doing this for practical reasons (budget, time) or stylistic ones? Even a couple of cheap, large, torches could give you a bit more punch to play with.

hope it goes well.

Adam

#7 G . Stephen Bruno

G . Stephen Bruno
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:50 AM

Thanks for all the input guys.

Ad8m, Yes, using the headlights would only be due to budget retraints, I will most likey go with just the sun and bounce. Im shooting on a DVX100A in 24PA equiped with a homemade DOF adapter that takes SLR lenses, since I know that there will be loss due to the adapter, my main concern is weather or not bounce alone would be enough to fill. The band isnt giving me very much to work with, so, I have to be as pratical and creative as possible.

Frank and Capt. Video, I can't seem to find any local suppliers of beadboard/foamcore, I wanted to purchase online but found that large area boards are special pick-up only. I won't be able to travel very far to do any special pick-ups, so Im asking now, what would the guerilla filmmaker do?

There is the mirror though diffusion tech, which is good, but isnt that too directional?

Would a large bed sheet work as a good bounce, or would that be to "thin"?

Thank guys,

G. Stephen Bruno

#8 Frank Barrera

Frank Barrera
  • Sustaining Members
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 19 April 2006 - 01:29 PM

Are you in Little Rock? If so I know Jones Video Productions has all that stuff. They're pretty nice folks and I don't see why they wouldn't sell you a 4' X 8' piece of white and silver bead board. It should cost about $30. The reason you want to use this and not some other make shift device (ie: bed sheet with some frame) is that it's both very lightweight AND very sturdy. (The bedsheet causes problems becaue a lot of light will transmit though it. That's why we usually don't use silks for a bounce. Although I have seen that done as well.)

I have also seen people use large pieces of foam board insulation that is white and white. You would need to double or triple it up depending upon how think they come.

good luck

FB

#9 G . Stephen Bruno

G . Stephen Bruno
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2006 - 01:53 PM

Brilliant, Ill look them up, thanks much Frank.

G. Stephen Bruno

#10 Jeremy

Jeremy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 April 2006 - 04:11 PM

If you're looking for a place to buy bounce board, try a hobby shop. You can buy large white foamcore (for mounting artwork on). They also usually have differnent colors (like gold) if you want to bounce something warmer.

#11 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:28 PM

Thanks for all the input guys.

Ad8m, Yes, using the headlights would only be due to budget retraints, I will most likey go with just the sun and bounce. Im shooting on a DVX100A in 24PA equiped with a homemade DOF adapter that takes SLR lenses, since I know that there will be loss due to the adapter, my main concern is weather or not bounce alone would be enough to fill. The band isnt giving me very much to work with, so, I have to be as pratical and creative as possible.

Frank and Capt. Video, I can't seem to find any local suppliers of beadboard/foamcore, I wanted to purchase online but found that large area boards are special pick-up only. I won't be able to travel very far to do any special pick-ups, so Im asking now, what would the guerilla filmmaker do?
There is the mirror though diffusion tech, which is good, but isnt that too directional?
Would a large bed sheet work as a good bounce, or would that be to "thin"?
Thank guys,
G. Stephen Bruno

Foam core you can get from Hobby Lobby and places like that, Bead board probably Lowes hardware or your local equivelant and yes I did mean my production company and my friends lighting and grip business, but I dare say all most all film companies rely heavily one these tools and use them along with defussion generuously though out most productions where daylight ext. are required.

Edited by Capt.Video, 19 April 2006 - 08:31 PM.

#12 G . Stephen Bruno

G . Stephen Bruno
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 11:19 AM

Capt.Video, thanks, I called up Home Depot and they have 4'x8' sheets of beadboard, maybe even larger, pretty cheap too. I would of thought it would be way more expensive, anyhow, appreciate the advise and guidence fellas, you all get consultant credits ;)

G. Stephen Bruno

#13 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:07 AM

Hey man, for you, anything. :D

#14 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Minneapolis

Posted 21 April 2006 - 04:03 PM

Any art supply shop will sell foamcore. It makes a lightweight, inexpensive reflector with perfect white color balance.

#15 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 21 April 2006 - 07:09 PM

G., one quick note, beadboard is also a type of wood panel used for wainscoating so make sure you tell the people at Home Depot that your looking for 1in thick styrofoam sheets in white so as not to confuse them and waist a trip. I've seen 4 x 8 sheets in both white and pink at Loews so they should carry it at Home Depot as well.

#16 Tom Bays

Tom Bays
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Producer
  • Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 24 April 2006 - 02:32 PM

I've got a white van i've used for fill...nothing is off limits.

#17 gregorscheer

gregorscheer
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2006 - 12:41 AM

All fine as long as you do not have any wind - I have had a lot of flickery kind of lighting caused by wind moving my reflectors around

#18 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 26 April 2006 - 01:29 AM

I'd love to see how your guys got it on the combo stand. :blink:

#19 Chris Pritzlaff

Chris Pritzlaff
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 April 2006 - 05:20 AM

we did the same with a white 3-ton grip truck. Happened by accident, but it worked well

#20 G . Stephen Bruno

G . Stephen Bruno
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:05 PM

CANCELLED!

Oh well, the Band has cancelled. the Video, that's the second one in a row...

Thanks for all the tips guys, I will be able to use this in the future.

truly,

G. Stephen Bruno

Edited by G . Stephen Bruno, 02 May 2006 - 09:09 PM.

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Metropolis Post