Anybody seen Scary Movie IV?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Murdoch

Jim Murdoch
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:37 AM

I'm planning to go see it tomorrow, but I'm surprised there hasn't been any comment about it on these pages yet, being the first "serious" Genesis outing most of us are going to see and all.

I've already seen a few mild comments about the image quality on various Film Fan sites, although they're mostly of the "so what?" type, meaning, "well, there's nothing particularly wrong with the pictures, but...there's nothing particularly right with them either".

However, you can read this glowing and totally unbiased report from one Craig Mazin, who turns out to be the writer of the screenplay, so he'd know!

According to him:

"Maybe the single greatest benefit of the Genesis, however, is the way it allows you to blow images up. The need for blow-ups is almost inevitable. There?s a boom that dips into frame, or maybe there?s a flag peeking in, or maybe you wish you had gotten a more extreme close up than the one you shot?etc.

With 35mm, you can blow stuff up about 15% before it starts to get really grainy and milky and take you out of the movie.

With the Genesis? We blew one shot up by 250 percent. We can barely tell. The audience? Not at all?especially after you film-out all of the HD so that the blown-up shot gets the same proportion of grain as the non-blown up shots. 250% vs 15%! The media is unbelievably versatile."

For me, this leaves only two unanswered questions

1. What has he been smoking?
2. Where can I get some? :D

How many of you film-makers find: "the need for blow-ups is almost inevitable".

#2 Kai.w

Kai.w
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:35 AM

I'm planning to go see it tomorrow, but I'm surprised there hasn't been any comment about it on these pages yet, being the first "serious" Genesis outing most of us are going to see and all.

Maybe you should also visit some other forums here than just "HD Only" , especially since you don't seem to like HD Video anyway B)

http://www.cinematog...showtopic=13452

-k

#3 Jim Murdoch

Jim Murdoch
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:15 PM

Maybe you should also visit some other forums here than just "HD Only" , especially since you don't seem to like HD Video anyway B)

http://www.cinematog...showtopic=13452

-k

No, I did a search, but nothing came up. Maybe it takes a while for newer postings to filter through the system.

I like HD Video fine, as long as it doesn't pretend to be anything else. Video cameras are my TRADE, sonny...

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport