4 replies to this topic

#1 Alex Wuijts

Alex Wuijts
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 April 2006 - 05:52 AM

This message is meant for the young filmmakers who want their short films shown in a respectable and well known museum of photography. I'm aware of the fact that this is a professional filmmakers forum, so for some of you it will be useless and i'm sorry to have wasted your time. Don't hesitate to ask any question :)

Wanted: short films by young film makers for an exhibition in Amsterdam!

This summer, Huis Marseille, the internationally orientated Museum for Photography in Amsterdam, organises a special programme of films by young film makers. We are looking for short films (not longer than 15 minutes) which have a strong focus on visual quality and are made by young, starting film makers. From these we will make a broad selection that will be presented in a special room from 3 June until 27 August. Every month the programme will be changed so that we can present as many different films as possible.

Here's what we want:
Your film on PAL DVD: 15 minutes max and preferably two copies (only two films maximum per person!)
Your full name + contact details and return address (all material will be returned to you after showing)
Information about yourself (age, eduction etc.)
Information about the film itself (year, length, technical details, short explanation)
Deadline for submission: 1 May 2006

Huis Marseille is an internationally well known museum which mainly programs contemporary photography with a strong accent on the visual and monumental. Because of the strong connection between film and photography, films are often included in the exhibition program. The last few years such different artists and film makers as Teresa Hubbard & Alexander Birchler, Runa Islam, Gerald van der Kaap, Hans van der Meer, Chris Meigh-Andrews and Naglaa Walker presented their films in Huis Marseille. In 2004 we presented a selection of Latin American film makers and artists, among others: Juan Manuel Echavarría, Liliana Porter and Martín Sastre.

(Please note that for this summer programme you don't have to be an artist or photographer to submit your film. We'll include any film that is interesting enough regardles of your background or education!)

Please, visit our website for more information on Huis Marseille: www.huismarseille.nl

You can direct your material to:

Huis Marseille, Museum for Photography
Keizersgracht 401
1016 EK Amsterdam
Tel. + 31 20 5318980
Email: info@huismarseille.nl

Don't forget to include your contact details and address!

#2 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:59 AM

Devils Advocate position here.

Why not let films from 5-10-15 years ago compete with what is being done nowadays by young filmmakers?

If a "young" filmmaker made a film in 1990 that is still worthy of being shown today, would you have an issue with that?

#3 Alex Wuijts

Alex Wuijts
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:49 AM

Devils Advocate position here.

Why not let films from 5-10-15 years ago compete with what is being done nowadays by young filmmakers?

If a "young" filmmaker made a film in 1990 that is still worthy of being shown today, would you have an issue with that?

To answer your first question: because that's not the idea of our program :) We saw the same concept at the Palais de Tokyo in Paris: A continous projection of moving images, regardless of theme or subject. It's an open stage, not a competition.

To answer your second question: I wouldn't worry too much about age. If the 'young' filmmaker you're talking about is yourself, I urge you to just send you best work in!

Regards,
Alex Wuijts

#4 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 19 April 2006 - 11:46 AM

To answer your first question: because that's not the idea of our program :) We saw the same concept at the Palais de Tokyo in Paris: A continous projection of moving images, regardless of theme or subject. It's an open stage, not a competition.

To answer your second question: I wouldn't worry too much about age. If the 'young' filmmaker you're talking about is yourself, I urge you to just send you best work in!

Regards,
Alex Wuijts

Actually, I only asked one question. Can a film made when someone was young be sent in? I think this consideration gets overlooked nowadays yet all the filmmakers who made their films before the internet took hold never really got a chance to promote their own filmmaking abilities as well as what can be done nowadays.

And why try and isolate me? I have tried to raise awareness about this issue in the past in different ways and for some reason people don't seem interested in comparing what "young filmmakers" were making 5 years ago, 10 years ago, 15 or 20 years ago. I find that a bit like driving with blinders on.

The reality is very few filmmakers would make the effort to send something in from a while back, especially if they don't feel invited. I think that is a loss.

#5 Alex Wuijts

Alex Wuijts
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 April 2006 - 04:26 AM

Actually, I only asked one question. Can a film made when someone was young be sent in? I think this consideration gets overlooked nowadays yet all the filmmakers who made their films before the internet took hold never really got a chance to promote their own filmmaking abilities as well as what can be done nowadays.

And why try and isolate me? I have tried to raise awareness about this issue in the past in different ways and for some reason people don't seem interested in comparing what "young filmmakers" were making 5 years ago, 10 years ago, 15 or 20 years ago. I find that a bit like driving with blinders on.

The reality is very few filmmakers would make the effort to send something in from a while back, especially if they don't feel invited. I think that is a loss.

You are making some very good points, and making a program with your comparison in mind would no doubt be very interesting. For now I'd just like to repeat what I said in my former post: don't worry too much about age, just send your work in, and this goes for anyone here, young or less young.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Opal

Abel Cine

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab