meric

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director

Posted 20 April 2006 - 08:14 AM

Hello everybody,
i just get this Canon Super 8 camera (the very first one, not the electronic one)... i was wondering how the exposure control works (i put new batteries -two 1,5 V-, but it seems nothing tells me the exposure... am i blind or what ?!).
Another thing, next to the "manual-auto" switch, there is a "C-O" knob, what is it exactly ?
And at least, when i put a cartridge i can't move anymore the "Daylight-Tungsten" switch, is it normal ?
Ok, thanks by advance (and sorry, i'm used to this camera at all).
A.

#2 santo

santo
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 09:35 AM

Congratulations on your first Japanazoom home movie camera.

As for your questions, being a past owner of your exact camera, here are the answers, bitter to swallow and truthful as they may be:

(i put new batteries -two 1,5 V-, but it seems nothing tells me the exposure... am i blind or what ?!).

Putting in a 1.5v batteries in a lightmeter designed for 1.3v mercury batteries (now extinct) will result in underexposure by about a full f-stop. I know, I've tested. So you are much much better advised using hearing aid batteries of 1.2v available at any drugstore. Energizer 675. HOWEVER, as you are not getting anything, this indicates your lightmeter may be broken. Likely as a result of people using 1.5 volt button cells and blowing it.

Another thing, next to the "manual-auto" switch, there is a "C-O" knob, what is it exactly ?

That's how you manually set the f-stop. If you look through the viewfinder and turn that C-O wheel you should see the little needle indicating the f-stop the iris is being adjusted to appear somewhere in the square. If not, it is broken completely. It could be you are not getting any light meter needle action as it is set on manual only? Try setting the wheel at "C" and then at "O" and check it out, watching through the viewfinder. Roll it all the way each way to make sure.

And at least, when i put a cartridge i can't move anymore the "Daylight-Tungsten" switch, is it normal ?

This is because either you have put in a black and white or a Vision negative stock cart in there. The linkage is completely mechanical. Black and white stocks have no filter slot cut into them, so the little button that goes in and out when you slide that switch (open up your film compartment and push that D-T button back and forth) can't move freely, preventing the internal filter of the camera from engaging and the internal light meter form registering differently.

Of course, the new V2 stocks are designed for use in real production/professional cameras like Beaulieus and Leicina Specials and have no notch, either, and it is assumed that you will be using an external light meter in a lot of circumstances. For use in home movie cameras like Canons, use an external light meter only and a 85 filter on the lens when shooting outside.

There's the lowdown on your camera. It's a shame Canon never went in the direction they started with the original 814 autozoom with their future camera developments (metal construction and whatnot). They could have ended up making some worthy super 8 cameras for our modern times. It remains my favourite Canon super 8 camera.

#3 meric

meric

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director

Posted 20 April 2006 - 06:10 PM

Thank you very much, Santo... i couldn't expect such a perfect explanation. Ok, it seems that the light meter is completly dead (there is even not a needle... even if i move the C-O wheel, nothing appears in the viewfinder, and even with the Auto mode). But, do you think i can use it in the Auto mode (ok, i guess, you will answer "Try it an you will find out"... but it's just in case !). It won't change anything if i use an external light meter if i can't change the aperture. It's a bit a shame because everything else seems to work. I 've even got a filter on it, one called 1A.
And it's true for the Daylight-Tungsten switch, i couldn't change it because i put a black and white cardridge inside.
Thanks again
a.

#4 Rick Palidwor

Rick Palidwor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Director

Posted 20 April 2006 - 09:19 PM

"C" stands for Closed and "O" for Open. Even when shooting in auto you can move it toward C to do a manual aperture fade out.

Even if your light meter is not working, the aperture on that camera should still work, so count your blessings (a lot of cameras' exposure control is disabled if the meter doesnt work, making the camera next to useless). With an external meter (or an educated eye) you are ready to go.

Rick

#5 santo

santo
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 09:31 PM

Even if your light meter is not working, the aperture on that camera should still work, so count your blessings (a lot of cameras' exposure control is disabled if the meter doesnt work, making the camera next to useless). With an external meter (or an educated eye) you are ready to go.

Rick

Count what blessings? The guy has no meter needle showing so he can't set the f-stop on his lens manually. He's dealing with a Japanzoom that doesn't have a external mechanical aperture ring like a real camera lens does. He has no way of telling what he's setting the aperture at!

#6 Rick Palidwor

Rick Palidwor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Director

Posted 20 April 2006 - 09:50 PM

i was wondering how the exposure control works (i put new batteries -two 1,5 V-, but it seems nothing tells me the exposure... am i blind or what ?!).

I did not take this to mean he had no exposure indicator to look at. I assume he didn't know what he was looking for.

Meric, do you see the aperture scale at the bottom of the viewfinder? If you turn that "C/O" dial, do you see a needle move? If you do, that's your aperture control, and you can set it where you like. If you don't see a needle then it's busted, in which case it's probably stuck wide open, and the only way to control exposure would be ND filters. Not good.

Rick

Edited by Rick Palidwor, 20 April 2006 - 09:51 PM.

#7 meric

meric

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director

Posted 21 April 2006 - 05:28 AM

Ok, guys, calm down ! I don't want any shouts because of me.
So, i checked again and again, and there is no needle at all on the right, on the left, at the bottom or on the top (even not graduation). Yes, i start to think i couldn't use it at all (or i can make a test, but...) if i can't be sure of the bloody aperture.
Thanks again.
a.

#8 ric

ric
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2006 - 06:35 PM

hi,

my 814 light meter battery = single alkaline cell, number/ref PO640A - but manual states 2x1.3v batteries, so my large single cell must be a 2.6v - i cannot see it listed on the internet, but Wein 1.35 cells are available to double up

light meter gradation + needle appear horizontally, at the bottom of the viewing window - check the lens open/close lock is off, left side of eyepiece, and that the general on/off is set to 'R', right of lens.

point camera at strong light source in order to illuminate light meter gradation in the viewing window; this will brighten even without a battery inserted. if you can still see nothing, check the light cell aperture at the front end of the camera body, immediately above the lens and beneath the 'canon', logo - the cell may be obscured?

this is a great camera - i shot my first film on it - built like a bus, it will go on forever. i use Nizo's today but am reluctant to part with this goodie.

manual - available from 'OldTimer' - http://www.oldtimercameras.com/

bests

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

The Slider

CineTape

Visual Products