4 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Smith

Mark Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:43 PM

I.m looking into picking up this camera and was just curious what the difference in look was with 24p vs. 24P advanced...I know the technical difference, but was curious how this would change the look of the film.

Thanks,
Mark.

#2 Tim Tyler

Tim Tyler

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Olympia, WA (US)

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:46 PM

Use 24PA if your NLE supports it. It's easier for the NLE if it doesn't need to remove the 2-3 pulldown that's a part of conventional 24P.

There's no difference in the look since you'll be adding the pulldown back when you print your final edit.

#3 Mark Smith

Mark Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 April 2006 - 04:22 PM

Okay, so let me get this straight...I would shoot 24p Advanced then use cinematools with FCP to remove the pulldown - edit true 24p - then reapply the pulldown [how do you do that????] for export to DVD or back to miniDV? What would happen if I didn.t reapply the pulldown and went to DVD or miniDV...and last question, what if I were going back to film [16 or 35 - this is just hypothetical] would I reapply the pulldown or even remove it in the first place?

Sorry, but I.m new to video...I.ve always shot film, but I.m really aching to get off small projects and do a feature, and it is only financially viable if i.m shooting 24p.

Thanks,
Mark.

#4 jijhh

jijhh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Student

Posted 20 April 2006 - 06:50 PM

here's what you do (at least for going to DVD). shoot 24p advanced, and set your capture settings to "Advanced 3:2 Pulldown Removal" (or something generally like that i don't know it word for word) . import all your 24pa footage with this setting. then set your sequence settings to 23.98 so you are editing true 24p. then you will have to use compressor to compress the file for DVD which you can make a 23.98 DVD (16:9 or 4:3 depending on what you shot). this way you completely preserve the 24p characteristics instead of just adding exporting to whatever you can put on a DVD or tape.

#5 Hans Kellner

Hans Kellner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Other
  • Northern California

Posted 20 April 2006 - 09:42 PM

I.m looking into picking up this camera and was just curious what the difference in look was with 24p vs. 24P advanced...I know the technical difference, but was curious how this would change the look of the film.

There's a discussion here with more info:

http://www.cinematog...?showtopic=2358

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Ritter Battery