Sol Train Saihati
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Gaffer
  • London

Posted 20 April 2006 - 06:36 PM

Hello All.

I've just been brought on to shoot a 16mm short on an Aaton XTR Prod with 2 ANGENIEUX Paris Zoom Lenses, 10-57mm and 12-150mm I believe. I was a little aprprehensive about shooting solely with zooms, although the budget is non existent so we're gonna have to do the best with what we have. One of my main conerns is the amount of light lost at the long end of the lenses. The both open up to about a 2/2.2 at the wide end, but I have no idea how much they can open up at any given focal length! Can anyone shed a little light on this? No pun intended...

Sleepless nights about underexposure ahead. :ph34r:

#2 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 20 April 2006 - 08:12 PM

Look at the marks if there are diffrent colors for stops according to the focal marks, but I would think there is no ramping with them. There is a built in meter in this camera so you can check by zooming in a grey card and notice if the meter stops down, or even see it by eye, but I think it's okay.

#3 Dan Salzmann

Dan Salzmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris, France

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:38 AM

I think you have a 12-120mm and a 9.5-57mm. They are marked in f stops and T stops which hold constant for the length of the zooms. The 9.5-57mm is a much better lens and the one I would film with most of the time if you can. The 12-120mm probably needs to be stopped down to T4 to be acceptably sharp.
This of course assumes that both are collimated correctly and in good condition.

#4 Nathan Milford

Nathan Milford
  • Sustaining Members
  • 692 posts
  • Director
  • New York, NY

Posted 21 April 2006 - 08:14 AM

I think I have a picture of a XTRprod with an Angenieux 12/120 on it, somewhere around here. It's a funny looking getup with an 800' magazine on it. >8)

#5 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 21 April 2006 - 11:39 AM

I think you have a 12-120mm and a 9.5-57mm. They are marked in f stops and T stops which hold constant for the length of the zooms. The 9.5-57mm is a much better lens and the one I would film with most of the time if you can. The 12-120mm probably needs to be stopped down to T4 to be acceptably sharp.
This of course assumes that both are collimated correctly and in good condition.

---There actually was a 12-150mm. The early version of the 10-150mm. Very small run before it was redisignened to 10-150mm.
I think General Camera in NYC bought the entire lot.
---LV

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

The Slider

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Opal