#1 Zamir Merali

Zamir Merali
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Director

Posted 21 April 2006 - 07:20 PM

Hello

My name is Zamir Merali and I am very new to this website and filmmaking in general. For the past while I have been experimenting with making some short movies with my consumer canon zr70 and I have finally decided to get a nice camera. I want this camera for making narrative movies and maybe a bit of documentary later on. I want a camera that emulates the "film look" very well. I understand that 24p doesn't look completely like film and if I actually want a film look then I should shoot in film, but film is currently out of my budget. I have narrowed the cameras I could get into either the xl2 or the dvx100b. They both have very good image control and user customizability. I am having a real hard time deciding which one to get. Price between the two does not matter but features and your opinion do. I have read lots of articles on the Internet addressing this issue but they all seem biased towards one camera. Could you please help me in deciding because this is a pretty important purchase for me and I would like to be completely satisfied with the camera I get. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

#2 Will Novy

Will Novy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 April 2006 - 08:32 PM

Hello

My name is Zamir Merali and I am very new to this website and filmmaking in general. For the past while I have been experimenting with making some short movies with my consumer canon zr70 and I have finally decided to get a nice camera. I want this camera for making narrative movies and maybe a bit of documentary later on. I want a camera that emulates the "film look" very well. I understand that 24p doesn't look completely like film and if I actually want a film look then I should shoot in film, but film is currently out of my budget. I have narrowed the cameras I could get into either the xl2 or the dvx100b. They both have very good image control and user customizability. I am having a real hard time deciding which one to get. Price between the two does not matter but features and your opinion do. I have read lots of articles on the Internet addressing this issue but they all seem biased towards one camera. Could you please help me in deciding because this is a pretty important purchase for me and I would like to be completely satisfied with the camera I get. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Ive always shot mostly with the DVX, so I would say get that one. If you can afford it even, get the HVX, but yeah. I think you would be satified using either camera, but I like the feel and look of the DVX over the acute angle of the XL2. But that's just my opinion.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport