14 replies to this topic

#1 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 21 April 2006 - 11:48 PM

What in your opinion are the best lenses readily available in Arri standard mount, both primes and zooms? I've got to either buy a few lenses or know what to rent in the future. I do have a 25mm Cooke Speed Panchro III which seems pretty decent but I just don't know enough about 35mm lenses yet to trust my own judgment. My Cooke has been to ZGC for repair and checkout so I know it's a good one.

#2 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 27 April 2006 - 05:54 PM

What in your opinion are the best lenses readily available in Arri standard mount, both primes and zooms?

No one has an opinion? I guess I'm at the mercy of what salespeople tell me.

#3 Camillo Foramitti

Camillo Foramitti
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Vienna, Austria

Posted 28 April 2006 - 07:28 AM

If you have the money I would go for the Cooke S4 Primes. When it comes to Zooms nothing beats Angenieux.

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 28 April 2006 - 07:50 AM

If you have the money I would go for the Cooke S4 Primes. When it comes to Zooms nothing beats Angenieux.

Hi,

The Cooke S4 primes are only available in PL mount. For Arri std you will be find old Zeiss & Cooke Speed pancros will give good results today. They will look softer and flair more than modern lenses. The focus scales will not be expanded like new lenses.
A Cooke 20-100 zoom could be found in Arri Std, make sure you support it well! Steer clear of the old Angenieux 25-250 lenses that you see on ebay for a few hundred dollars.

Stephen

#5 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 28 April 2006 - 06:02 PM

For Arri std you will be find old Zeiss & Cooke Speed pancros will give good results today. They will look softer and flair more than modern lenses. The focus scales will not be expanded like new lenses.
A Cooke 20-100 zoom could be found in Arri Std, make sure you support it well! Steer clear of the old Angenieux 25-250 lenses that you see on ebay for a few hundred dollars.

Stephen

What's your opinion of the 20-120 Angenieux zooms? There's a fair amount of them floating around. Or is my best zoom bet to hang in there for a Cooke 20-100 (yes indeed, I'll need to invent a real strong, inflexible lens support if I hang a big zoom off of standard mount)?

One problem I've encountered with my good Cooke 25mm SIII, is that focus is a bit stiff on my turret due to my turret's mating surface being a bit old and beat up. I did score the new 2A/B turret off ebay last week so that may be a problem on it's way to solution. Do people use some sort of surface lubricant on the lip of Arri standard lens mounts to ease up focus on lenses like the Cooke Speed Panchros where the entire lens rotates in the mount?

#6 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 29 April 2006 - 03:51 AM

What's your opinion of the 20-120 Angenieux zooms? There's a fair amount of them floating around. Or is my best zoom bet to hang in there for a Cooke 20-100 (yes indeed, I'll need to invent a real strong, inflexible lens support if I hang a big zoom off of standard mount)?

One problem I've encountered with my good Cooke 25mm SIII, is that focus is a bit stiff on my turret due to my turret's mating surface being a bit old and beat up. I did score the new 2A/B turret off ebay last week so that may be a problem on it's way to solution. Do people use some sort of surface lubricant on the lip of Arri standard lens mounts to ease up focus on lenses like the Cooke Speed Panchros where the entire lens rotates in the mount?

Hi,

I bought a 20-120 from Ebay very cheap, it is OK stopped down a bit, but its not a very good lens in todays terms. Its OK value around $300 but thats it!

The Cooke 20-100 was the zoom of choice for 25 years, usable wide open, mild breathing and a great expanded focus scale. Available from $2000, the best value glass IMHO.

The reason cameras were modified to BNCR & PL is the original Arri std mount wears and lens collimation suffers.

Stephen

#7 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:48 PM

You definitely need to lubricate the lens barrel of any of the Cooke, or old Zeiss, or even some of the old Schneider lenses where the whole lens barrel turns in the ARRI standard mount. You can use ARRI grease, which is really expensive, or even Vaseline, but you definitely need to lubricate the lens barrel before you insert it into the socket.

Would love to hear others opinions about the Cooke Speed Panchros, Series I, Series II or Series III. I have a set of the Cooke Kinetal lenses for my Arriflex 16S and 16M cameras and love the look of them. Am looking into an Arriflex 2C and would love to have 35mm lenses that give that same look.

Thanks,
-Tim

#8 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 17 August 2007 - 02:55 AM

You definitely need to lubricate the lens barrel of any of the Cooke, or old Zeiss, or even some of the old Schneider lenses where the whole lens barrel turns in the ARRI standard mount. You can use ARRI grease, which is really expensive, or even Vaseline, but you definitely need to lubricate the lens barrel before you insert it into the socket.

Would love to hear others opinions about the Cooke Speed Panchros, Series I, Series II or Series III. I have a set of the Cooke Kinetal lenses for my Arriflex 16S and 16M cameras and love the look of them. Am looking into an Arriflex 2C and would love to have 35mm lenses that give that same look.

Thanks,
-Tim

Hi,

I would avoid the original Cooke Speed Pancro (no series is marked), they are not sharp by todays standards & need stopping down quite a long way to produce an acceptable picture.

Stephen

#9 Patrick Neary

Patrick Neary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, OR

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:31 AM

Hello-

I used to have a set of Cooke Speed Panchros (series II) and they were gorgeous. I wish I still had them.

If I were getting into a 2C again (I'm not) I'd get a PL or Nikon hard front. PL is obviously easier to integrate into existing production, Nikkors are easy to find and cheap and can be very good.

In fact, if anyone is interested I've got a nikon front for a 2C around here somewhere....

#10 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 August 2007 - 02:09 PM

Thanks,
-Tim

My lenses of choice in school were a set of rehoused (to PL) Cooke series IIs, made in 1964. Gorgeous look to them, especially wide open on closeups. They have a similar feel to S4s in that they are a bit less contrasty and a tid bit softer than zeiss lenses of the time. Wonderful lenses. We had focal lengths 18, 24, 32, 40, 50, 75, and 100.

#11 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:37 PM

In fact, if anyone is interested I've got a nikon front for a 2C around here somewhere....

Hey fellow Portlander,

Two questions, can I get a larger version of your Avatar picture, the one with the monkey using the Arriflex 16S, to use on the web site.

And second, tell me about the Nikon front for the Arriflex 35 IIC. Who made it? What is the FFD for the Nikons? Is it complete? How much do you want for it?

Thanks,
-Tim

#12 chuck colburn

chuck colburn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Other
  • orygun

Posted 17 August 2007 - 05:41 PM

http://en.wikipedia...._of_lens_mounts

Be careful what you stick in the hole. Some lenses can interfer with the mirror shutter.

#13 Patrick Neary

Patrick Neary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, OR

Posted 19 August 2007 - 09:30 PM

Hi Tim-

Nikons are around 46mm so, not as deep as PL- I know with other Nikon mounted 2Cs I've seen, the shutter housing (to the left of the lens mount as you look at it from the front) has to be shaved back to accommodate the girth of the lens...

I'll shoot you an email, probably easiest!

#14 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 19 August 2007 - 11:10 PM

I'd be interested in your Nikon front. Do I recall correctly that some of the IIC chassis has to be milled to accommodate the Nikon mounting plate? As well, might you have any 2-perf works for a IIB?

#15 Patrick Neary

Patrick Neary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, OR

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:28 AM

Hi Paul-

I'll shoot you a message too- (no 2-perf parts, but I've got some Mitchell mags you might need? :) )

sorry for diverting this thread!

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

CineLab

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks