#1 Dan Salzmann

Dan Salzmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris, France

Posted 22 April 2006 - 04:04 PM

Fed up with really low autonomy with battery belts and was wondering if anyone has ever used motorcycle batteries as an alternative. They are small and not too costly. Any experiences with this?

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 23 April 2006 - 10:16 AM

Fed up with really low autonomy with battery belts and was wondering if anyone has ever used motorcycle batteries as an alternative. They are small and not too costly. Any experiences with this?

Hi,

Buy sealed lead acid batteries, the same price and don't spill acid when held upside down. About 30% of the cost of other rechargable batteries. I have been using them for the last 5 years.

Stephen

#3 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 23 April 2006 - 12:20 PM

Don't forget to check your voltage. Motorcycle batteries can be 6 volts instead of 12.

Stephen: Have you been using them for lights, camera power, or perhaps both?

Best

Tim

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 23 April 2006 - 12:51 PM

Don't forget to check your voltage. Motorcycle batteries can be 6 volts instead of 12.

Stephen: Have you been using them for lights, camera power, or perhaps both?

Best

Tim

Tim,

For camera power mainly, my Mitchell needs 15 amps @120 FPS, more in the cold! I have run monitors and Dedo lights but be careful to only discharge by half the rated amp hours. Lead acid don't like deep discharge and will die quickly if you try!

If making up voltages use identical batteries (Same make and AH rating), i.e 5 x 6volt = 30V not 2x12 +1x6

Stephen

#5 Abel Klainbaum

Abel Klainbaum
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Athens, GA

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:28 PM

I ran a Bolex with a motorcycle battery with no problem. Just make sure all your connectors a solid in place.

-Abel K

#6 Dan Salzmann

Dan Salzmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris, France

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:57 AM

Thanks guys! I think it's rather disappointing that with all the different types of fixtures out there-Dedo, Joker, etc. plus the wide range of 12V halogen stuff that battery technology does not seem to have evolved more than it has. That's to say LIGHTER and MORE AUTONOMY!
Also semi-related: Does anyone know of a 12V lamp that can be fitted to a Lowel DP light?
The Lowel page does not show anything for this.
With 5218 filming can be done in more and more places where there is no electricity and where that genny can't be brought without a helicopter.
Any more suggestions about lightweight (backpackable) electrical energy sources would be appreciated.

#7 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 25 April 2006 - 04:52 PM

I think it's rather disappointing that with all the different types of fixtures out there-Dedo, Joker, etc. plus the wide range of 12V halogen stuff that battery technology does not seem to have evolved more than it has. That's to say LIGHTER and MORE AUTONOMY!

Sure it has. Lithium Ion batteries are ubiquitous. Not necessarily cheap though, especially when you factor in the charger.

http://www.idxtek.com/

#8 Robert Aldrich

Robert Aldrich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Hollywood, CA

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:30 PM

Thanks guys! I think it's rather disappointing that with all the different types of fixtures out there-Dedo, Joker, etc. plus the wide range of 12V halogen stuff that battery technology does not seem to have evolved more than it has. That's to say LIGHTER and MORE AUTONOMY!

Any more suggestions about lightweight (backpackable) electrical energy sources would be appreciated.

Here's something I've been fooling with for awhile, see:

http://www.dailyrush...table light.htm

It's the ultimate spend-nothing low-budget alternative to set lighting.

Actually it's an HID light, not Xenon, but I didn't know that when I wrote the article and posted it to my website.

Attached also is this picture of the light in a china ball. And that's the 12V gel cell on the desk in front of me. The light runs for about an hour before winking off due to about 11.5 or 12 volts. It draws 3.5 or 4 amps. And the window in the background is daylight! The HID power supply is in my hand above the light. (the Mercedes warning sticker claims 25,000 volts in this unit, but according to some web research an HID light needs only a little over a thousand)

WARNING! If you try this, be well aware that if you break the insulation on that wire between the power unit and the light or get it wet, you're going to get one hell of a shock! So, there's something of a safety issue concerning throwing together some lights like this. But they run cool, draw less current and put out more light, something like two or three times as much. Just look in your rear view mirror at night on the freeway in LA when some inconsiderate rich cat keeps his brights all the time. That's a LOT of light!

HIDLIGHT_small.JPG

I think this will be really handy for some night shooting projects I'm planning if I bring along a 12V car battery on a hand truck and some heavy cables (like the newer speaker wire cable) so the voltage stays high at the light. The battery can be recharged back at any car and another one in it's place meanwhile.

I've collected three of these lights now, two from an Audi, one from a Mercedes. They have a nice, almost-white light!

If you're worried about safety issues, a safer alternative would be to use the straight tungsten high intensity headlight bulbs, you can get them at any auto body shop for free if you schmooze them, because they have lots of them laying around from wrecked cars which they've replaced the headlight assemblies on. They'll probably even give you the broken fixture with reflector and mount as they just have to throw them away.

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks