#1 jamiedocgirl

jamiedocgirl
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 April 2006 - 09:58 PM

Hello All,

I have just seen 3 films shot with the DVX-100A at the Boston Independent Film Festival.

1 was a narrative feature, and the other 2 were docs. Honestly, they didn't look good. They were very pixilated, and the focus was blurry on all films.

I also saw a doc. that was shot with the DSR-500, and one with the Pansonic SDX -- both looked great, and more video in a way, but not pixilated or blurry at all.

Now, I am not sure if it was the projector, but I really don't want my future documentary to look crappy. Is this just the projector on the big screen? Will it look like that? Can it produce crisp images? Do I need the HVX-200, or the PD-170, though we really, really want to shoot 24p.

Thank you so much,
Jamie

#2 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:00 AM

depends on what you are shooting and what you are blowing up to; digital projection, or a 35mm print.

if you use the HVX 200, you can shoot 24P at 1080i and should have way less trouble blowing up to 35 than with 720, or 480.

#3 Antti Näyhä

Antti Näyhä
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Other
  • Belgium/Finland

Posted 24 April 2006 - 03:50 AM

if you use the HVX 200, you can shoot 24P at 1080i

Um, you mean 1080/24p - that is 1080 vertical resolution at 24 progressive frames per second. No "i" or interlaced there.

#4 jamiedocgirl

jamiedocgirl
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 24 April 2006 - 08:12 AM

Thank you for your responses, but I think I should make this more clear.

The films that were blown up, both narrative and doc., were projected were not converted to film. They were digitally projected the way they were shot, onto a 25 ft. screen. The images looked a bit blurry and pixelated, so....it makes me fearful that my film will look the same.

I would like to buy the HVX, but have been disuaded since we will be on the road, and have somewhat of a limited budget, and thought the DVX would be great...I just hope it will look good on the big screen.

Thank you,
Jamie

#5 Hans Kellner

Hans Kellner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Other
  • Northern California

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:22 PM

I would like to buy the HVX, but have been disuaded since we will be on the road, and have somewhat of a limited budget, and thought the DVX would be great...I just hope it will look good on the big screen.

The movie "November" starring Courtney Cox was filmed using the DVX100 and blown up to film. Some more info here:

http://www.cinematog...?showtopic=5863

Also the documentary "Murderball". Rent both and take a look at the quality.

I've seen several DVX shorts projected digitally on large screens and some looked good and some looked as you described. I don't know why some were better than others. It's hard to judge without seeing the original footage.

I have been told that DVX footage shot correctly and blown up to 35mm is comparable to standard 16mm in quality.

If you truely wish to go to film for the final result then filming HD will give you a better image. You mention having a limited budget. Going HD is more than just the camera. The hardware to support capturing, editing, storage begins to add up.

Edited by Hans Kellner, 24 April 2006 - 07:25 PM.

#6 Louis-A Larose

Louis-A Larose

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:52 PM

Hi,

I use the DVX-100 for my formation in university (uqam.ca) I do know well that camera.
What you saw in Boston film fest... is either a bad compressed DV files on a DVD support to be projected on the screen. In that case the problem wasn't the DXV-100 24p record but the compressor. Compressors make DV a lot of pixel if they are not used correctly.

If the footage wasn't compressed on a DVD, then it was projected with a numeric projector with a mini-DV support. In that case, the probleme could be the used of the graphic card by the eddting software. Chek with your filed priority (even or odd) and configure your edditing software to be compatible with your graphic card. All graphic card have specification about field priority, so each graphic card have different field priority. And there is a last thing you can do to prevent that problem, you have to de-interlace your video.

The DVX-100 is a great camera. Many people thinks that shooting in 24p makes a 24 image per second footage.
Well on edditing software, you have to work your footage like a dropframe video. There is no difference excep on the recording algorithm.

DVX-100 is a good semi-proffesional camera.. and i would not hesited to buy or work with it ! But be sure of your manipulations at each steps of your workflow.

Louis-A Larose. :ph34r:

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio