#1 Rich Ventana

Rich Ventana

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 April 2006 - 03:28 PM

Has anyone had experience using digital betacam stock (Sony BCT-D32) in the Sony F900? A client came in with these tapes she shot in South Africa. Her crew told her they did it all the time. Basically they cover up the first and fifth holes on the underside of the tape and remove the tab on the fourth. This then mirrors the hole configuration on the HDCam tapes (BCT-40HD) and the camera records on it just fine.

The tapes played back fine on our HDW-2000/1 VTR and looked great to the eye. We don't have the equipment or the expertise here to determine if the video was of the same quality as that recorded on true HDCam tapestock but it definitely looked like it.

I can't believe (well actually I can) that you can get the same results from a dbeta tape that costs half the price of the HDCam. Does anyone know anything about this? Would I be risking damage to the recording and playback heads if we use this method ourselves?

#2 deluxe

deluxe
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2006 - 05:51 AM

Has anyone had experience using digital betacam stock (Sony BCT-D32) in the Sony F900? A client came in with these tapes she shot in South Africa. Her crew told her they did it all the time. Basically they cover up the first and fifth holes on the underside of the tape and remove the tab on the fourth. This then mirrors the hole configuration on the HDCam tapes (BCT-40HD) and the camera records on it just fine.

The tapes played back fine on our HDW-2000/1 VTR and looked great to the eye. We don't have the equipment or the expertise here to determine if the video was of the same quality as that recorded on true HDCam tapestock but it definitely looked like it.

I can't believe (well actually I can) that you can get the same results from a dbeta tape that costs half the price of the HDCam. Does anyone know anything about this? Would I be risking damage to the recording and playback heads if we use this method ourselves?

interesting topic.

i can only speculate, but i don´t think you would damage heads on the 2000 series if its the multiformat breed.

honestly, i don´t think that there are differences between dbeta&hdcam-stock, but i don´t take the risk and follow sonys marketing trail here ;)

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC