• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Frank DiBugnara

Frank DiBugnara
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:16 PM

I hear this is at NAB this year. Anyone know anything about it? Or seen it? What is the recording device?

www.red.com

#2 Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Daniel J. Ashley-Smith
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:38 PM

Never heard of it till now, but from looking at the specifications.. my god... this is one hell of a camera.

The thing that I find hard to understand that is if this sort of technology is ready or will be ready soon, why haven't Sony or Panasonic gotten there first?

They're the leading manufacturers, I assume they probably have the most amount of money and resources at their feet, why are they taking so long?

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith, 24 April 2006 - 07:40 PM.

#3 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:42 PM

My good friend is working the RED booth. I'll report back what they're willing to tell. Sometimes it takes a maverick tothink outside the box. We'll see.

#4 Nathan Milford

Nathan Milford
  • Sustaining Members
  • 692 posts
  • Director
  • New York, NY

Posted 24 April 2006 - 08:36 PM

The thing that I find hard to understand that is if this sort of technology is ready or will be ready soon, why haven't Sony or Panasonic gotten there first?

They're the leading manufacturers, I assume they probably have the most amount of money and resources at their feet, why are they taking so long?

If a camera like that is possible, a guy like Jannard is it's best bet. My understanding is that he's a camera-phile billionaire who has the resources, connections and the capital to work rapidly and unencumbered. I'm sure he can also attract a lot of engineering talent to work on a project like that because of the revolutionary nature of the product as well as the atmosphere and additude of the workplace.

Sony and Panasonic are more entrenched in a corporate infrastructure with many departments vying for this codec or that technology as well as a highly ENG / Broadcast influenced engineering background. The 'cine' market is infintessimal compared to the broadcast market and the big players are less likely to develop a technology for that market that doesn't mesh or overlap somehow with thier ENG / Broadcast technologies.

Corporate politics is why they're taking so long. My speculation is that Jannard and co. aren't held back by such additudes and they're free to pursue the formats and technologies that work for the product instead of the ones that work for the a large sony/panasonic-like company agenda.

But, that's just the way I see it and maybe I have too jaded view of corporate ecosystems

#5 Frank DiBugnara

Frank DiBugnara
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:46 PM

I thought I saw somewhere that the price point was around 17K. But I still don't know what the recording device is. It says that it is a camcorder which implies that the 4K resolution is being captured onboard. But how?

The website also seems to imply that they are developing their own lenses?

Gosh, what would this mean for the f-950? and every other high end HD out there?

#6 ocean

ocean

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 24 April 2006 - 11:08 PM

To the film professionals and aspiring filmmakers:

DVXUSER has allowed RED to post dedicated thread on the topic of RED issues. Although DVXUSER is geared toward the pronsumer arena, the RED company continues to concentrate on this market proving that 4k acquisition is affordable to the neophyte filmmaker. Here is the link---enjoy.

http://www.dvxuser.c...isplay.php?f=58

[url=http://www.red.com]

Edited by ocean, 24 April 2006 - 11:13 PM.

#7 Jim Murdoch

Jim Murdoch
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2006 - 11:14 PM

This "project" has been kicking around since the middle of last year. All anybody has seen are a lot of extravagant claims and the same mostly "under construction" website you see now. If they ever do get this project working they'll certainly have plenty of competition.

As many people have pointed out, storing all that data would be problematic to say the least. And if I'd come up with a workable system, I'd be trying to sell to to computer manufacturers, not impoverished film makers!

#8 Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 April 2006 - 12:12 AM

I just came from the RED website. I've been counting the days and hours, waiting to see this thing. Now that they are showing it, all I can say is, "uh?" Is what they are showing really the camera? It looks like a concept camera. If the terminator had a HD camera, then RED would be his weapon of choice.

#9 Keith Mottram

Keith Mottram
  • Sustaining Members
  • 824 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:08 AM

dreams can be exciting, but currently my shoebox takes better pictures...

Edited by keith mottram, 25 April 2006 - 06:09 AM.

#10 Tom Bays

Tom Bays
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Producer
  • Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 25 April 2006 - 08:25 AM

I hear Jodie Foster is the spokesperson.

#11 Marco Leavitt

Marco Leavitt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:17 AM

"The thing that I find hard to understand that is if this sort of technology is ready or will be ready soon, why haven't Sony or Panasonic gotten there first?"

It has been widely speculated ? and Red and Silicon Imaging have pretty much proven ? that the major manufacturers aren't interested in making this technology affordable. They'd rather soak their high-end clients, and who can blame them. I suppose every industry does that to some degree. Can't put the genie back in the bottle now though!

#12 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:34 AM

dreams can be exciting, but currently my shoebox takes better pictures...

Is this your sole means of acquisition?

#13 Keith Mottram

Keith Mottram
  • Sustaining Members
  • 824 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:06 AM

Is this your sole means of acquisition?

i'm currently converting a larger cardboard box in the hope that i'll get better depth of field...

#14 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5069 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:44 AM

i'm currently converting a larger cardboard box in the hope that i'll get better depth of field...

A pinhole would help.

#15 Keith Mottram

Keith Mottram
  • Sustaining Members
  • 824 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:09 PM

A pinhole would help.

oh i'm way beyond that, I'm trying to sort out the video tap at the moment....

#16 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:35 PM

I'll settle for no less than a 70mm size image sensor on a camera the size of a credit card.

Now that would be sweet. Ready to take the shot? just bust out your wallet.

#17 Emanuel A Guedes

Emanuel A Guedes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Producer

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:41 PM

"The thing that I find hard to understand that is if this sort of technology is ready or will be ready soon, why haven't Sony or Panasonic gotten there first?"

It has been widely speculated ? and Red and Silicon Imaging have pretty much proven ? that the major manufacturers aren't interested in making this technology affordable. They'd rather soak their high-end clients, and who can blame them. I suppose every industry does that to some degree. Can't put the genie back in the bottle now though!

You said all! To who doesn't know @20's it happens the same with the introduction of the talkies. In that time, one of the protected interests it was from the General Electric and its greed for the majors that already were looking for to control the verticalization of the industry. And so, the introduction of the sound was delayed 'til 1927/28.

And this it answers a few skeptical* posts around here.

* EDIT -- (for not to use other words even more suitable however probably unpleasant -- and I don't want to seem rude)

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

The Slider