Photo

Bolex H16 Rex, can I modify shutter and go out of phase or 90 degrees?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vale Spada

vale Spada

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Director

Posted 25 April 2006 - 03:13 AM

Hi, I was wonderin if there's a place where I can have this job done. And if this particular Bolex model can handle a shutter change to 90 degrees or go out of phase. thanks...
p.s. I also need to find batteries for this camera, where can I go? thanks again
vale

#2 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:53 PM

Which model RX ?

You need batteries ? for the EL, EBM, the wind-ups with a motor attached ? I happen to have a 1,2Ah bolex batt, but if I didn't i'd be heading to an electronics surplus store to pick up any 12v rechargeable batt (like a motorcycle style, or two alarm 6v batts in series etc... )

I'm certain that the RX4, 5 and SBM have an adjustable shutter that can go from 130 deg down to zero - look for a little knob just ahead of the rewind shafts that you can pull out and move up and down (down = smaller angle) - I'm not sure about the earlier RX's or the EBM but I know the EL is fixed at 170 deg

Out of phase: as in you want the shutter open when the film is moving for vertical streak type effects ?
... again RX4 and RX5 yep you can for certain - you just need to unscrew the whole front shutter mechanism spin the shutter and screw it back on - statistically speaking you will put it back on out of phase :lol:

pretty sure its the same for the earlier types but again I dont know about the EBM - the EL yes probably but be careful you dont mess up your metering and wotnot

It can be a laborious process getting it back in phase I tell ya <_<

#3 vale Spada

vale Spada

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Director

Posted 26 April 2006 - 05:56 PM

Hi and thanks for your reply,
The camera says H16 Reflex, so i gues is the rx 1, I mean the first model i think.
It was a gift. But no batteries attached to it.

#4 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:08 PM

Hi and thanks for your reply,
The camera says H16 Reflex, so i gues is the rx 1, I mean the first model i think.
It was a gift. But no batteries attached to it.

have you managed to find the battery compartment yet ???

The early H16's (and the current model SBM and RX5) are all spring wound cameras - they dont need batteries unless you have attached a motor to the side, I'm not sure if the RX1 had a motor made for it -

www.evergreen.edu/media/pdf/Bolex_Manual.pdf

have a read... it might be for a later model but the bolex designs concepts are very similar throughout the range ...

as for your question re. the shutter angle - check if it has a variable shutter like I said - if it doesn't then you probably wont be able to get one going for less than the cost of a body with one in the first place...

find your serial number near the base and reference with :
http://www.city-net....tory/index.html

helpful also:
http://www.tobincine...com/page94.html

Edited by Nick Mulder, 26 April 2006 - 07:15 PM.

Willys Widgets

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS