#1 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 25 April 2006 - 03:53 AM

This is one of my favorite films about a filmmaker trying to make a film, the other one is Living In Oblivion. Does anyone else other than me feel like they're living one of these films?

Edited by Capt.Video, 25 April 2006 - 03:54 AM.

#2 Ian Marks

Ian Marks
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:10 PM

What I remember most about "Living in Oblivion" (which I enjoyed) is that they were using an old chop-top Auricon or similar camera to shoot their movie, with an old Angenieux zoom with a long attached viewfinder.
They always had the viewfinder bent up at an angle when they looked through it. I had one of those lenses in the dark past, and the finders weren't orientable, so the actors were seeing nothing but black as they pretended to look through the camera. Looked pretty cool, though.

I remember reading somewhere that the "Chad Palomino" character was a thinly disguised version of Brad Pitt, based on the director's experiences with Pitt on his previous movie.

Also, it was the first time I'd seen Peter Dinklage (as the dwarf brought in for the obligatory indy-film dream sequence), who was so wonderful in "The Station Agent."

#3 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 25 April 2006 - 03:32 PM

This is one of my favorite films about a filmmaker trying to make a film, the other one is Living In Oblivion. Does anyone else other than me feel like they're living one of these films?

"Living in Oblivion" was hysterical, and I can relate to every character and situation in that movie. But you have to notice that their production goes so badly because no can really do their job -- at some point in your career you get past this (at least most of the time).

There are many other "industry" films that are a must see; The Big Picture, The Player, Swimming With Sharks, Ed Wood... just off the top of my head.

A good spoof not of filmmaking, but rather of badly made films, is The Lost Skeleton of Cadavera.

#4 Bob Hayes

Bob Hayes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Culver City, California

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:29 PM

Mistress rocked my boat.

#5 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 25 April 2006 - 11:14 PM

I actually liked Hollywood North also and not quiet a movie about filmmakers but one about a great star My favorite Year was another great one. I thought there must be some inspiration for "Chad Palomino". That charature was WAY to specific to be just dreamed up. There was also a Doc. American Movie: The Making of Northwestern about Mark Borchardt who worked at a funeral home and his half junkie / simi musician friend that make a 30 minute horror film called "Covent". It's a great little doc. every filmmaker should see about how a not so smart guy with a limited amount of talent persiverers and gets his film made. It's actually kinda inspirational.

#6 Chris Fernando

Chris Fernando
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 26 April 2006 - 03:32 PM

There was also a Doc. American Movie: The Making of Northwestern about Mark Borchardt who worked at a funeral home and his half junkie / simi musician friend that make a 30 minute horror film called "Covent". It's a great little doc. every filmmaker should see about how a not so smart guy with a limited amount of talent persiverers and gets his film made. It's actually kinda inspirational.

The film within the film was actually called "Coven" (sorry no "umla" on the keyboard). I've heard that's it actually not the worst thing ever made, but who knows.

"Lost in La Mancha" about Gilliam's failed attempt to make "Man of La Mancha" by Don Quixote is actually pretty damn entertaining and somewhat painful to watch, from a filmmakers POV.

#7 Matt Pacini

Matt Pacini
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 02:56 PM

Lost in La Mancha was great. Yes, painful to watch.

Coven in my opinion was mildly amusing, but mostly terrible and highly overrated.
Siskel & Ebert liked it, so it took on this sort of legitimacy of being an "art film" or whatever after that, but really it's just a documentary about this guy who is a total loser dumbass, who is so stupid he can't even see what an idiot he is.
Watching this movie was much like watching the Funniest Home Videos type shows, where you see these morons with mullet hairdo's doing stunts with their 4-wheel drives, that so obviously go bad, and you're thinking "can't these guys see how moronic they are?"

#8 Jayson Crothers

Jayson Crothers
  • Sustaining Members
  • 351 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 09 May 2006 - 05:21 PM

A bit more obscure, but in my opinion the funniest "movie about a movie" is a film called "And God Spoke" - it's a mockumentary about the adventures of turning the ENTIRE bible into an independent feature.

Look for the foreign Cinematographer who's constantly rambling on about his special "bread filter".

Great stuff.

#9 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 09 May 2006 - 06:53 PM

I remember that movie! That thing was GREAT!!! My FAVORITE scene was Soupy Sales as Moses holding the 6 pack of Coke. I thought I was going to bust a gut laughing. :lol:

#10 Adam White

Adam White
  • Sustaining Members
  • 135 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 June 2006 - 02:33 AM

I always find it funny when people show a film crew in a flick. They are usually part of the production, either bored whitless or petrified at being on the other side of the lens, but they cant help getting in a few injokes by leaving lens caps on or not hooking up anything.

Even wierder when extras try and act the part. At the climax of 24, season 2, they had a bunch of extras playing video reporters. On the DVD you can see the director getting a mite annoyed as most of the crowd clearly cant point a camera to save their life.

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Opal

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine