Photo

Out dated expired film, process 25years. Bleach It?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Canney

Canney
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:15 PM

Okay I shot of a roll of kodachrome 40 that was supposed to be proccess before 10/1980. I did a computer to film print like I do normally and sent the roll of to be processed. Well I new that it would probably come back horrible looking due to age and it came back a nightmare. It came back a very pale pink and purple and is very transparent. Probably would have done better if it had been processed as a B&W. So for those of you out there looking in to buy old stocks dont buy them, there losey. In my experience anthing thats three years beyond the experation date is just bad. So buyer beware.

What I was wondering is can I bleach the processed film to make it transparent, completely blank. I'm just going to make it into some leader is all.

#2 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:40 AM

Okay I shot of a roll of kodachrome 40 that was supposed to be proccess before 10/1980. I did a computer to film print like I do normally and sent the roll of to be processed. Well I new that it would probably come back horrible looking due to age and it came back a nightmare. It came back a very pale pink and purple and is very transparent. Probably would have done better if it had been processed as a B&W. So for those of you out there looking in to buy old stocks dont buy them, there losey. In my experience anthing thats three years beyond the experation date is just bad. So buyer beware.

What I was wondering is can I bleach the processed film to make it transparent, completely blank. I'm just going to make it into some leader is all.

You can dissolve the gelatin emulsion by soaking the film in dilute (about 10:1) hypochlorite laundry bleach (e.g., Clorox), then rinsing thoroughly, running it through a squeegee, and drying it.

#3 Canney

Canney
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:06 PM

All right did it, now its a really, really faint image. I'll do it again and it should probably all be gone. Thanks.

Edited by Canney, 26 April 2006 - 06:07 PM.

#4 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 27 April 2006 - 10:00 AM

All right did it, now its a really, really faint image. I'll do it again and it should probably all be gone. Thanks.

Although the hypochlorite bleach does fade the dyes, given enough time, it also dissolves the gelatin emulsion. When you are done, you should have completely clear plastic film base.

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

CineTape

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery