4 replies to this topic

#1 jijhh

jijhh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Student

Posted 25 April 2006 - 11:32 PM

I'm new to the latest HD equipment, but I'm producing a short most likely to be shot on an HVX so I'm looking for some info. I'm trying to figure out--how does P2 recording work with regard to on set downloading. What can I hook up to the camera to download HD footage from the P2 cards (a drive? a laptop to a drive?) Does this take a while (is it going to be time consuming on set)? Finally, how problematic is it going to be to edit 720/24p on a Mac G5 system? It is too high a rate to edit online with? The plan is to output to DVD/HD formats for festivals, so any post suggestions would be nice.

#2 Christopher Bell

Christopher Bell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 75 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 25 April 2006 - 11:54 PM

Download your footage to the P2 store while on set, or a powerbook with a PC card slot. I suggest that you do a P2 import via FCP rather than transferring the MXF files over. It's significantly faster.

You can edit native DVCPRO HD on a powerbook, as 720 24p is only 40mbs. The G5 will have no problems.

Chris Bell
HVX/Varicam Owner

#3 Matt Irwin

Matt Irwin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 April 2006 - 12:12 AM

Your options for downloading the cards on-set are:

1. P2 Store.

2. Insert cards into the PCMCIA slot on a laptop.

3. Connect the laptop to the camera via firewire.

4. External HDD connected directly to the camera via "1394 HOST" mode.

The most efficient routes to go would be the P2 Store or using the slots on a laptop, because you will be able to keep shooting as the cards are downloading. The other two methods take the camera out of it's shooting mode in order to offload and you will have to wait for the cards to copy and verify before you can continue shooting.

Using a HDD via 1394 HOST is the most affordable method, but probably the most time consuming. A little down time on set can be nice, though some might feel that 8-10 minutes down time for every 20 minutes of record time (in 720/24pn) is too much.

It takes roughly 1GB per minute to download the cards.

Editing 720/24 on a G5 is easy. The datarate is only 40Mbps. A Kona card will definitely not hurt, especially if you want to go out to an HD reference monitor during the edit (the HVX does not output component HD from Firewire) or if you plan to go uncompressed for color correction.

EDIT:

oops, Chris pretty much beat me to it.

#4 jijhh

jijhh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Student

Posted 26 April 2006 - 01:16 AM

Affordability is definately an large issue with this film. Being that the equipment is most likely going to be rented, would it just make sense to rent enough cards to last through one day (one rental house has extra cards at $25 each), and then do all the downloading directly to a firewire drive at the end of a day's shooting?

As for the editing, shooting 720/24p-->P2-->harddrive was based on the assumption that it would be problematic to edit. If the G5 can handle this easily, is it possible to edit 1080/24p-->P2-->harddrive on a G5? Is there a certain drive speed I need?

#5 Will Novy

Will Novy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 May 2006 - 02:56 PM

Affordability is definately an large issue with this film. Being that the equipment is most likely going to be rented, would it just make sense to rent enough cards to last through one day (one rental house has extra cards at $25 each), and then do all the downloading directly to a firewire drive at the end of a day's shooting?

As for the editing, shooting 720/24p-->P2-->harddrive was based on the assumption that it would be problematic to edit. If the G5 can handle this easily, is it possible to edit 1080/24p-->P2-->harddrive on a G5? Is there a certain drive speed I need?

lets just say that my g4 laptop can edit 720p/24pn without a problem. I think the G5 will be fine, even if editing 1080i.

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC