Tim Tyler

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Olympia, WA (US)

Posted 26 April 2006 - 02:09 AM

Let me just say that the level of detail this camera produces is just SCARY! Wow.

7800 x 4000 resolution.

Attached Images

• IMG_3244.jpg
  • IMG_3245.jpg

#2 Rik Andino

Rik Andino
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Electrician
  • New York City

Posted 26 April 2006 - 02:41 AM

Jesus, that doesn't look like a run and gun camera.

#3 Valeriu Campan

Valeriu Campan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 26 April 2006 - 02:49 AM

Remind me of the Moog synth

#4 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 April 2006 - 02:50 AM

Have you got any more info? What mount does the camera take, what's the chip size, etc...

#5 Tim Tyler

Tim Tyler

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Olympia, WA (US)

Posted 27 April 2006 - 11:01 AM

Can't find the brochure they gave me, sorry.

From memory... The camera has 4 chips and creates four seperate images which are processed and combined into one. You can see on the back of the camera how there are four banks for outputs.

NHK had a large, fully enclosed black tent setup with chairs and an IMAX-like projection screen on which they projected an astounding 13 minute series of clips. The clarity and detail in the images were truely amazing. It was like looking at a giant Kodachrome slide in motion. I saw nothing that made me think there was anything to improve upon as far as image quality went, except maybe that it felt interlaced and not progressive (although I couldn't tell for sure).

#6 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 27 April 2006 - 01:45 PM

Although a few of the people on the http://www.film-tech.com site who attended NAB and saw the demo felt that as sharp as the pictures were, they still had a "video" look to them:

To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://www.film-tech...c;f=12;t=000486

Then there was the NHK Super HD 7K Demo. I'm not sure what there selling, but they have a line of very large prototype cameras and obviously some way to project the image. They were not talking about the projector. It appeared to be stacked video projectors, each displaying a different color. The screen was about 35' wide and they put about 50 people in the room. I sat in the front row about ½ screen hight away from the screen. Unfortunately they also had one of those awful Bose sound systems that they just love for trade shows.

The content was the usual mixture of languid nature shots set to music with a few nice frenetic city shots thrown in. Then only thing missing was the pretty girl. There was also a few plays from the New York Nicks Basketball team. My first thoughts were hey that's very nice video. Even thought I was sitting as close as I was, it were as if you were sitting very close to a dozen 60? video screens. So that was about the pixel density. I couldn't see individual pixels, but I could tell they were there. The guy next to me said that he saw video compression problems, but I tend not to see those. I was talking to another person who stated that NHK has no interest in the Cinema market, they aren't trying to be like film, so there was lots of video noise, edge enhancement, ringing and an 8 bit video color pallet. The final shot was a cool shot of Las Vegas off of the convention center roof live.

So final thoughts, it looks just like video only bigger.

Went straight to the NHK UHDV demo. Waited a half-hour in the line then sat down in the last row, which was probably about 30' from the screen.

Some of the specs: 4320-scanning line system, 7680x4320 pixels (32 million pixels), 16:9 AR, 60 fps, 22.2 channel sound, 3.5 TB of data (about 750 DVDs worth) for 15 minutes of show, served at 24 Gb/s over 16 parallel SDI channels.

OK, so there was some noise in the blacks, but I didn't see any of the other compression or detail enhancement errors that Ian or the other guy mentioned. And I'm a stickler about using too much edge enhancement. Perhaps I am just more willing to be impressed here. Yes, it didn't look like film but that's very easy to do with today's DSP cameras...The cameras used for this demo were Ikegamis equipped with four 8M imagers - 2 for green and 1 each for red and blue. The paraded component video waveform displays on the camera CCUs outside the theater looked weird to me with four components.

The projectors were nothing special, just a pair of JVC D-ILA machines, one projecting cyan and the other projecting magenta.

#7 Christopher Bell

Christopher Bell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 75 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 27 April 2006 - 02:54 PM

While there was a great deal of detail, the image was still very video like. The images suffered from poor dynamic range... it looked like HD, only on a huge screen. I could have done without the Times Square footage... come on NHK, there are far more beautiful things to shoot in the USA. The Japan footage (cherry blossoms, Mt Fuji) was far nicer.

I found the presentation only so-so. If you want to be blown away, check out an IMAX 3D movie.

Film still rules.

Chris Bell

#8 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11947 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:55 PM

Hi,

Yes, blazingly sharp (and did anyone else notice they were projecting one green and one magenta image to coincide on the screen?) but slightly overexposed. A lot of Japanese TV looks like this, and this was presumably shot by Japanese crews - you might just be seeing varying interpretations of "right".

Was a bit clippy, though.

Phil

#9 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:59 PM

Was a bit clippy, though.

Phil

Digital sensors still struggle to match the latitude of color negative film (especially in the ability to capture highlight detail and speculars).

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

CineTape