Shooting a concert

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Grosso

Chris Grosso
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2006 - 09:40 AM

Hey all,

I'm going to be shooting a concert in NYC in a few weeks. I come from the commercial world. Any advice on camera settings seeing that is stage lights of multiple intensity and color. I'm concerned about color temp, gain, etc. This is a high end act that is internationally known so the lights will be typical of any national act that you have seen. Any advice is appreciated.

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 26 April 2006 - 04:43 PM

Try to test the camera(s) before the shoot to see how the added noise from gain suits you. Test the camera under dark conditions, since gain noise tends to show up mostly in the shadows. +6 db. on the SDX-900 is pretty clean, but you may not even need that.

For white balancing stage and concert lighting, just use white tungsten light or the camera's tungsten preset. If you're shooting mulitple cameras compare them through the same monitor (even better yet, do a proper setup with a vectorscope) and make sure they match.

The SDX's Cinegamma settings will probably help you with the high-contrast nature of stage lighting. It will help hold highlights and shadows a little more naturally, and make "chasing" the exposure of concert lighting a little easier.

I'm sure others have their favorite settings for use under concert lighting, but really it's hard to take a BAD picture with the SDX...

#3 Bob Hayes

Bob Hayes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Culver City, California

Posted 26 April 2006 - 09:46 PM

You are going to face extremes of exposure. If possible have your camera hard lines to you and operators on headsets. That way you can talk then through exposure and framing needs. If the Operators break away to do some hand held at least they have guidelines about how to expose.

Also you might want to add a couple of VX100as to your package to add some extra coverage.

#4 Chris Grosso

Chris Grosso
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2006 - 01:13 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I plan on shooting this 60i. I will be using a DVX100a as a second camera that I will be setting up for a novice to use. I will be using the SDX900, again 60i. I want to try to avoid using gain if I can and I thougt about putting the DVX on full auto. This is going to be a mixed format shoot, the artist gets a video feed from the venue, and has a couple camcorders (yikes) probably miniDV, I am simply offering a couple cameras that will provide better footage that can be intercut with the other cams. The venue is indoors for those who asked.

You are going to face extremes of exposure. If possible have your camera hard lines to you and operators on headsets. That way you can talk then through exposure and framing needs. If the Operators break away to do some hand held at least they have guidelines about how to expose.

Also you might want to add a couple of VX100as to your package to add some extra coverage.

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

CineTape

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets