JeffN

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:21 PM

Hi guys: I'm renting an SDX900 on Friday to shoot a fair at my kids' school. It's a lot of booths and games and some performances, interviews with the kids and teachers, mostly exterior. Just wanted to try this camera out after reading about it, thinking I may want to use it on a couple of infomercials we're doing this summer.

So here are my dumb questions:

1) Thinking of shooting in 24p, this will be mostly handheld stuff, want to see what the effect is like. Do I want 24P? Or 24PA? I see there's a difference in the pulldown? What's the advantage of one over another? Or am I making a mistake of some kind by shooting this kind of thing in a 24P format?

2) I guess I use DVCPRO50 tapes in this, to shoot in the 50 Mpbs format and get highest quality. Correct?

3) I'm just going to use the camera to capture my footage into my computer. Is there a firewire to get this into my PC (using premiere pro)? Presumably if I had a box to break it out I could get better quality, but don't have one, just firewire and component s-video in, and don't want to get one just now. Options to input? Suggestions?

4) What settings in terms of filmic looks? Would like to apply one of those filmic/cinema curves, maybe.

5) I can use 16:9 or 4:3 format. The "client" (kids' school) doesn't care. Any advantages/disadvantages to one over the other, in anyone's opinion? (This is just for home viewing on tv, of course.)

6) Any tricks or problems a novice like me should be aware of? Going to be shooting mostly exterior on Friday, whether is forecast to be cloudy at times, maybe some wind.

Thanks for any input.

#2 John Ealer

John Ealer
  • Sustaining Members
  • 187 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:23 PM

1) Thinking of shooting in 24p, this will be mostly handheld stuff, want to see what the effect is like. Do I want 24P? Or 24PA? I see there's a difference in the pulldown? What's the advantage of one over another? Or am I making a mistake of some kind by shooting this kind of thing in a 24P format?

Use 24p, which is pulled down 2:3 and recorded at 29.97, unless you want to finish in a 24p timeline for upres to HD, then use 24PA, which pulls down 2:3:3:2 to facilitate pulldown removal when digitizing.

2) I guess I use DVCPRO50 tapes in this, to shoot in the 50 Mpbs format and get highest quality. Correct?

Yes. Use the medium sized cassettes, AJ-P66MP.

3) I'm just going to use the camera to capture my footage into my computer. Is there a firewire to get this into my PC (using premiere pro)? Presumably if I had a box to break it out I could get better quality, but don't have one, just firewire and component s-video in, and don't want to get one just now. Options to input? Suggestions?

No firewire. Just composite video or SDI, if the optional board is installed. The AJ-93 deck is very cost-effective.

4) What settings in terms of filmic looks? Would like to apply one of those filmic/cinema curves, maybe.

Panasonic's website has some very nice settings files from Goodman you can download.

5) I can use 16:9 or 4:3 format. The "client" (kids' school) doesn't care. Any advantages/disadvantages to one over the other, in anyone's opinion? (This is just for home viewing on tv, of course.)

Depends what you prefer aesthetically. Keep in mind that if you shoot 4:3 you are losing about 20% of your lens' horizontal field of view - get a lens with a crossover / 0.8x converter if you need to keep the wide focal lengths.

6) Any tricks or problems a novice like me should be aware of? Going to be shooting mostly exterior on Friday, whether is forecast to be cloudy at times, maybe some wind.

To finish for TV in 24p mode...make sure V.RES is set to INTERLACE or you'll likely get unwanted aliasing. Use Filmlike Gamma 1 around .45 and you'll be able to handle the contrasty exteriors pretty well...Filmlike 2 can help as well if the contrast is extreme. Polas always help.

#3 JeffN

JeffN

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:34 PM

Thanks very much, John. Appreciate the speedy reply. One further question. You wrote:

To finish for TV in 24p mode...make sure V.RES is set to INTERLACE or you'll likely get unwanted aliasing. Use Filmlike Gamma 1 around .45 and you'll be able to handle the contrasty exteriors pretty well...Filmlike 2 can help as well if the contrast is extreme. Polas always help.

I'm assuming I'll understand this once I get the camera tomorrow and am familiarizing myself and looking at it, but what menu will I find this setting on? I'm shooting in 24p, but I want INTERLACE instead? It's not obvious to me here.

Many thanks,
Jeff

#4 John Ealer

John Ealer
  • Sustaining Members
  • 187 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:38 PM

Thanks very much, John. Appreciate the speedy reply. One further question. You wrote:
I'm assuming I'll understand this once I get the camera tomorrow and am familiarizing myself and looking at it, but what menu will I find this setting on? I'm shooting in 24p, but I want INTERLACE instead? It's not obvious to me here.

Many thanks,
Jeff

In P modes. the camera generates too much vertical resolution for an interlace display (i.e. an NTSC CRT) to display without aliasing. So V.RES, when set to INTERLACE, rolls off the vertical resolution to eliminate the aliasing on interlace displays. V.RES, when set to PROGRESSIVE, leaves all the glorious resolution intact, which is great for PROGRESSIVE displays, UPRES'es, filmouts, and better for compositing applications.

J

#5 JeffN

JeffN

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 26 April 2006 - 08:53 PM

Got it, thanks.

Now...I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to capture footage from this baby. The only inputs I have in my PC are firewire and s-video w/rca sound inputs. Hm...I have a betaSP deck, do I need to dupe this first to beta, then input from there, ya think? (Yeah, I guess I should buy a kona or decklink card here at some point, but not by this weekend.)

Any suggestions?

#6 John Ealer

John Ealer
  • Sustaining Members
  • 187 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 26 April 2006 - 11:18 PM

Got it, thanks.

Now...I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to capture footage from this baby. The only inputs I have in my PC are firewire and s-video w/rca sound inputs. Hm...I have a betaSP deck, do I need to dupe this first to beta, then input from there, ya think? (Yeah, I guess I should buy a kona or decklink card here at some point, but not by this weekend.)

Any suggestions?

If you're in LA, contact me off post about where you might get a firewire enabled DVCPRO50 deck.

Otherwise, I'd suggest dubbing to DV and capturing via firewire (from a camcorder if you have one) rather than using s-video from BetaSP.

J

#7 JeffN

JeffN

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:06 AM

Thanks, I wrote you last night (in case you didn't receive -- check your spam filter...!) I can do the latter, dub to my DV camera and go in via firewire, by the way.

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

CineLab

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post