XDCAM, Film Look?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mike M

Mike M
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2006 - 09:08 AM

How does the (XDCAM 330, 350) look when trying to achieve a 24p film (cinematic) look ( shooting in HD)?

Does it come off looking more like film or video? (when shooting the unit as a CineAlta product.)

Does it beat or match the film look of a DVX100 / HVX200?

If anyone has screen-grabs or footage of the camera shooting in CineAlta fashion I would love to see it.

#2 Bill Totolo

Bill Totolo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 698 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:13 PM

I can only speak to the 2nd gen XDCams (350) which are not HD. The 24P mode, to me, is a look you have to embrace as something that is not filmic.

#3 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:43 PM

Im using it now, and it looks alright. Try to stay away from the gain though, since the noise is terrible.

You can also try using 1/8th to 1/4 fog/pro mist to soften it up a bit.

#4 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:49 PM

I just got back from Sony/Apple's XDCam/Final Cut Pro road show in Dallas. Have to say I'm impressed with the format.

The cameras did a great job too. The real slow-mo from variable frame rates (up to 60fps) and the time-lapse options made for some great artistic shots.

The film look is hard to compare the film look features to the DX100 and HVX200 because the lenses are soooo much better and the CCDs are a different level altogether. Does it look like film? Not to someone who works with film. Does it look more pleasing to the eye? Yes, for some types of shots.

That being said, the images in general were amazing, especially on Apple's 4k projector. They played it directly from an XDCam deck and there were times that it looked almost like a 35mm print even though I knew it was video.

#5 Sam Wells

Sam Wells
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1751 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 03 July 2006 - 12:07 PM

That being said, the images in general were amazing, especially on Apple's 4k projector. They played it directly from an XDCam deck and there were times that it looked almost like a 35mm print even though I knew it was video.

4K projector ? What was this, Sony SXRD - or ?

-Sam

#6 MZolomij

MZolomij
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:54 PM

How does the (XDCAM 330, 350) look when trying to achieve a 24p film (cinematic) look ( shooting in HD)?

Does it come off looking more like film or video? (when shooting the unit as a CineAlta product.)

Does it beat or match the film look of a DVX100 / HVX200?
If anyone has screen-grabs or footage of the camera shooting in CineAlta fashion I would love to see it.

I have been using the XDcam HD 350 for about five months and I do think that it is much better than the DVX100 (I have not used the HVX200). I have a tough time truly calling it a "CineAlta" but I think that it does a fairly shallow depth of field and takes some nice images. The overcranking is nice as well. If you work your DOF and go to a good post house - it will look filmic.

z

#7 Sander van de kerkhof

Sander van de kerkhof
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Hilversum, netherlands

Posted 26 August 2007 - 02:06 AM

I use the sony xdcam (the 530) allot and i have been able to make some real nice filmic settings in camera.

what i do is go very low on the master black and in the matrix i actually took out some color to get a less saturated look while retaining good skin tones.

then shooting in 25P with a 1/8 or 1/4 black promist on a long lens at f2.8 and the shutter at 1/50 wil give me good results

i must say though that you must talk about doing this with your editor and director because you can't do allot with the footage color correction wise, i use this on shoots with very tight deadlines so no time wil be wasted in CC.

sander,

#8 Simon Wyndham

Simon Wyndham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • UK

Posted 10 November 2007 - 05:53 AM

I use the sony xdcam (the 530) allot and i have been able to make some real nice filmic settings in camera.

I've had some okay success with both the SD and HD cameras. Although I have to say that these days I do not really believe in chasing a 'film look' as I do not believe that it is really that possible. I like the look of proscan modes, but I think that the HD look should be embraced as a look on its own rather than trying to make the camera into something that it isn't.

Film handles edge detail and overall detail in a different way to video cameras. Video cameras can be made to emulate this to a degree, but not totally.

Certainly if I am shooting 'filmish look' with a camera like the 330/350 I will usually turn off the detail altogether. Although access to the service menus will give you more control over things. You can try reducing overall detail, but play around with the Aperture Detail controls, Crispening, Frequency and Fine DTL adjustments. But you need a pretty controlled environment and the right equipment to be able to do this properly.

The best settings I ever had were from the Swiss Effects film transfer company. For the Standard def cameras they had some good settings that were a nice compromise between going too soft, but still retaining overall crispness.

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Visual Products

Glidecam

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS