John King
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Other
  • Burkesville, Kentucky

Posted 30 April 2006 - 05:12 AM

Hello all,

I'm needing information about the availability of Kodak stocks with double perforations. I got some older cameras (Mitchell 16 Pro and a Maurer 150) that --according to one article I downloaded-- absolutely require double perf stocks to run. Also according to that article, Kodak still has these type films on special order. If that's so, how much more is it going to cost me for arywhere around 20 to 40 cans (400ft. loads) of this stock? So Mr. Pytlak if you're out there............

Also anybody know for sure if this is true that the older cameras absolutely have to have the double perf stock? If so, can they be refitted to accept single perf? Has this been done before or even attempted?

Thanks in advance!

J.M. King

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 30 April 2006 - 05:29 AM

Hello all,

I'm needing information about the availability of Kodak stocks with double perforations. I got some older cameras (Mitchell 16 Pro and a Maurer 150) that --according to one article I downloaded-- absolutely require double perf stocks to run. Also according to that article, Kodak still has these type films on special order. If that's so, how much more is it going to cost me for arywhere around 20 to 40 cans (400ft. loads) of this stock? So Mr. Pytlak if you're out there............

Also anybody know for sure if this is true that the older cameras absolutely have to have the double perf stock? If so, can they be refitted to accept single perf? Has this been done before or even attempted?

Thanks in advance!

J.M. King

Hi,

Just look at the camera, if the sprockets or movement advance or register pins are on both sides then yes double perf is required. Converting the camera is possible, but may not be cost effective unless you want to try yourself!

Double perf should be available without extra charge in the most common emulsions.

Stephen

#3 John King

John King
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Other
  • Burkesville, Kentucky

Posted 30 April 2006 - 06:12 AM

Stephen,

WOW! Thank you so much for the quick reply (I've noticed that here, I've never posted anywhere else and recieve answers so quickly! --my hats off to you!)

Yes, the cameras do have the doubled sprockets and registration elements that you mention (to my knowledge these cameras are original in every respect of the word--Ha Ha!) For some reason I was under the impression that the film did not matter so much with these older cameras, that they could run either kind, and that it was those designed to run single perf (ie. S16s) that would have the problems with double perf stocks. Don't ask me how I came under this impression cause I really can't recall why.

Anyway, when I read this article I got to worrying about it cause I'm really anxious to see if these old cameras really have the longevity that people brag on them for having. The cameras in question are really clean and nice looking on the inside, really they look new. They have been well taken care of that's for sure. I was intending on giving them a routine cleaning and lube then start putting some film through them. My daughter and I are planning to shoot a cheapie horror flick and we bought a large stock of Fuji film that is single perf.

Now again according to this article my Bolex H16s can handle this single perf film-- is that correct?

Again, Thanks in advance!

J.M. King

#4 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 30 April 2006 - 07:34 AM

Hello all,

Thanks in advance!

J.M. King

Many of the 16mm Kodak camera films are available double perf (perforated 2R-2994), for those cameras that still transport the film from both sides.

http://www.kodak.com...0.1.6.6.4&lc=en

#5 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 30 April 2006 - 08:03 AM

For some reason I was under the impression that the film did not matter so much with these older cameras, that they could run either kind, and that it was those designed to run single perf (ie. S16s) that would have the problems with double perf stocks. Don't ask me how I came under this impression cause I really can't recall why.

Hi,

Cameras that can run single perf film will run double perf film without problem set up for standard 16 only. I know somebody who planned to convert a Mitchell to super 16 himself. He was not bothered if the project failed as the base camera was only worth a few hundred dollers.

Stephen

#6 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:05 AM

Cameras that can run single perf film will run double perf film without problem set up for standard 16 only.

INDEED, that is why most film used to be shipped double perf, before super 16, double perf was universal use nagative, fits anything.

Most cameras made ofter WWii only need single perf. (High speed camera excepted, they need all the perf they can get to avoid tearing the film)

Super 16 of course USES the soundtrack/second Perf area so must have single perf stock. Since MOST camera can take single perf, that is what is offered as default.

#7 John King

John King
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Other
  • Burkesville, Kentucky

Posted 30 April 2006 - 09:00 PM

I knew it was someting like that. I just got it all backwards somehow. Basically all I really know about 16mm is hwat I've been reading and in examining the cameras that I have now. Years ago I did a little Super8 work (16mm was way out of my price range back then).

For now I'll probably just order some double perf film from Kodak since as per Mr. Pytlak, they still carry it. This way I can get these cameras going. Later on I will do the conversion myself. I'm studied up pretty good on the basics of film transport and camera mechanics in general, and I ahve worked on smaller more tedious models before, but really I want to see and get a feel for how these particular cameras run, then I'll start thinking about the conversion. But you guys hang close! I'll probably be coming back here from time to time needing y'alls advice!

Thank you all so much for your replies and help. Mr. Pytlak I will be making some orders from Kodak in the near future.

J.M. King

#8 gregorscheer

gregorscheer
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2006 - 09:54 AM

If you want to trade in your fuji single perf stock I could be interested what emulsion is it? I have some 100" camera spools of double perf film (kodak).

Edited by gregorscheer, 01 May 2006 - 09:57 AM.

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

The Slider

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine