2 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan Bajornas

Ryan Bajornas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Student

Posted 30 April 2006 - 04:34 PM

I am planning a trip to China (from U.S), and am taking an Arri SR2, some prime lenses, and some film with me. I've heard of many problems while traveling, regarding airport security, inspections, and customs, and am curious as to what to expect or suggestions that might help ease this process. I will have the equipment constantly with me as my personal baggage, and I know to have a hand-check of the film. The camera is school's equipment.

This is my first time traveling with equipment, and traveling abroad, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Ryan Bajornas

#2 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 30 April 2006 - 04:52 PM

Well China is a unique place to take film gear, I was going in Sept to shoot but decided to put it off until May 07. I was told that you could not enter China with cinema gear unless you had special clearances to do so.

I found a company in China that specializes in bringing in foreign film crews and their gear. Basically it's their job to meet you at the airport and get your gear past the officials. They needed a complete list of gear from me before I got there in order to do the paper work. Then they would travel with me and provide permits to the authorities as I moved around.

As for other countries I have taken my film gear all over the world and never had an issue, it's quite easy really. I take the camera and film stock as carry ons, and pack the rest of the gear in suit cases. I just let them x-ray my camera and film stock and away I go. Once or twice they have asked to hand inspect the camera, but nothing came of it. Lots of professionals take all sorts of gear related to their various fields with them when they travel.

An SR2 in it's case will be fine as a carry on, if they want to look at it let them.

One thing I do need is Canada customs forms proving that I left the country with the gear, so that when I get back they won't try and collect duties and taxes on it. This is a little card that has the serial numbers of each piece of gear on it, they stamp it and that's it. When I get back to Canada I show them the card and away I go. Also handy in a foreign country if you need some legal piece of paper to prove that the gear is your property.

R,

#3 Stephen Whitehead

Stephen Whitehead
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto, Canada

Posted 30 April 2006 - 05:10 PM

As for other countries I have taken my film gear all over the world and never had an issue, it's quite easy really. I take the camera and film stock as carry ons, and pack the rest of the gear in suit cases. I just let them x-ray my camera and film stock and away I go. Once or twice they have asked to hand inspect the camera, but nothing came of it. Lots of professionals take all sorts of gear related to their various fields with them when they travel.

Is your travels part of your Stock business Richard?

Steve

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products