6 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Stone

Dan Stone
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Director

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:10 AM

How would you guys DLB a 1K or a 2K tungsten?

When I try to gel them, it melts right through within minutes -- and I'm putting the gel about 12" away from the front of the lamp.

Is there a special super-gel I need to get?

Thanks!

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:54 AM

What kind of units are you using? What kind of gel are you using?

Most professional gel (Lee, Rosco, GAM, Formatt) should last more than a couple minutes on most fixtures of that size, even open-faced.

And 12" of "air" should certainly do the trick for a 1K or 2K. If your gels are melting at that distance, I suspect you got hold of some crappy gel...

#3 Dan Stone

Dan Stone
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Director

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:38 AM

What kind of units are you using? What kind of gel are you using?

Most professional gel (Lee, Rosco, GAM, Formatt) should last more than a couple minutes on most fixtures of that size, even open-faced.

And 12" of "air" should certainly do the trick for a 1K or 2K. If your gels are melting at that distance, I suspect you got hold of some crappy gel...

They're open-faced fixtures. I just ordered the first gel I saw on B&H's website. I'll try some of the better gel and see what happens.

Thanks for the reply!

Just saw the packaging... it's made by Lowel. I'll stay away from them from now on.

#4 Justin Marx

Justin Marx
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Hollywood, FL

Posted 06 May 2006 - 11:18 AM

They're open-faced fixtures. I just ordered the first gel I saw on B&H's website. I'll try some of the better gel and see what happens.

Thanks for the reply!

Just saw the packaging... it's made by Lowel. I'll stay away from them from now on.

Buy some heat shield while your at it. :-)

- - Justin

Edited by Justin Marx, 06 May 2006 - 11:19 AM.

#5 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 06 May 2006 - 12:18 PM

How would you guys DLB a 1K or a 2K tungsten?

When I try to gel them, it melts right through within minutes -- and I'm putting the gel about 12" away from the front of the lamp.

Is there a special super-gel I need to get?

Thanks!

Please post your continuing experience with this problem. What make and model of fixture is this occuring with? I've had experience with ETC Source Four Pars with 575 watt lamps in them burning holes in the center of Rosco deep blue theatrical gels after perhaps 6 hours at full intensity. This is a bit surprising since they're a lensed fixture. Rosco says they use a polycarbonate base for their gels so burning holes just may be the nature of the beast with optically simple fixtures like open faced ones. Conversely, I've got blue gels I've been re-using for years that I use in front of Fresnel babies (Strand and Colortran 1000 watt) and Source Four Ellipsoidals, both of which do a good job of keeping focused infrared heat away from gels.

#6 Chris Pritzlaff

Chris Pritzlaff
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 May 2006 - 03:51 AM

I've had experience with ETC Source Four Pars with 575 watt lamps in them burning holes in the center of Rosco deep blue theatrical gels after perhaps 6 hours at full intensity. This is a bit surprising since they're a lensed fixture.

Wouldn't that depend on the degree of the lens? I had a source 4 with a 19deg lens burn through my blue gel in only a few minutes. The gel was from rosco so I trust its durability. My gaffer and I had to create a snoot and put the gels in front of that to prevent the gels from burning so quickly. Does anyone have an answer to this because I know these are used frequently in theatrical applications where the gels are used for extended periods of time.

#7 ChrisConnelly

ChrisConnelly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Grip
  • Philly

Posted 13 May 2006 - 02:17 PM

Wouldn't that depend on the degree of the lens? I had a source 4 with a 19deg lens burn through my blue gel in only a few minutes. The gel was from rosco so I trust its durability. My gaffer and I had to create a snoot and put the gels in front of that to prevent the gels from burning so quickly. Does anyone have an answer to this because I know these are used frequently in theatrical applications where the gels are used for extended periods of time.

In my experience it is necessary to put heatshield in the gel frame in between the lamp and the color. I understand this doesn't give the recommended airflow for the heatshield, but it works pretty well to extend the life of the gel.

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC