#1 Panayiotis Salapatas

Panayiotis Salapatas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Greece

Posted 02 May 2006 - 04:56 PM

I am a cinematographer and would like to test some film stocks.

Any idea where I can find motion picture film stocks (Kodak or Fuji) for SLR cameras in order to do some tests? I used to live in Los Angeles and there that lab RGB on Hinghland avenue and used to buy rolls of different stocks but just found out that they went out of business.
Now I live in Athens, Greece. Of course any link to any lab in the world will do.

Thanks
Panayiotis

Edited by panayiotis, 02 May 2006 - 05:01 PM.

#2 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 04 May 2006 - 05:23 AM

I am a cinematographer and would like to test some film stocks.

Any idea where I can find motion picture film stocks (Kodak or Fuji) for SLR cameras in order to do some tests? I used to live in Los Angeles and there that lab RGB on Hinghland avenue and used to buy rolls of different stocks but just found out that they went out of business.
Now I live in Athens, Greece. Of course any link to any lab in the world will do.

Thanks
Panayiotis

Been discussed many times before -- do a search.

Generally, you will need to "roll your own", and then find a motion-picture lab willing to take the risk of processing short lengths in their continuous transport processing machine. (The many splices required to splice together short lengths increase the risk of a film break in the machine.)

Both Kodak and Fuji have occasionally supplied "test" samples as still cartridges, but I personally feel that shooting short lengths of actual moving footage is a much better way to evaluate a film for motion-picture use.

#3 Panayiotis Salapatas

Panayiotis Salapatas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Greece

Posted 04 May 2006 - 02:55 PM

Been discussed many times before -- do a search.

Generally, you will need to "roll your own", and then find a motion-picture lab willing to take the risk of processing short lengths in their continuous transport processing machine. (The many splices required to splice together short lengths increase the risk of a film break in the machine.)

Both Kodak and Fuji have occasionally supplied "test" samples as still cartridges, but I personally feel that shooting short lengths of actual moving footage is a much better way to evaluate a film for motion-picture use.

Dear Mr. Pytlak,

thank you for your reply and help.

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera