Stock Footage Wanted !

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 shedli

shedli
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:03 AM

Hi all,

I?m very happy to announce the launch of Pond5.com, an online stock footage marketplace and filmmakers' community.

Pond5 is a revolutionary new way to buy and sell downloadable, royalty-free stock video footage over the web. Sellers can upload their clips and make them available to a global marketplace of buyers, who can search for, preview, purchase and download footage ? instantly, online, 24-hours a day.

We?re currently looking for cinematographers and production companies who are interested in partnering with us to sell their work online. We accept high-quality footage of all subjects and types, in most formats (including SD/DV and HD/HDV). Artists get 50% commissions on all sales, monthly payouts, a non-exclusive contract and complete control over their work, along with a host of other benefits.

Also, we have a referral program, so if you sign up and invite your friends, you'll earn 5% of everything they buy or sell on the site, for a year (they will of course still earn their full 50% commission; the 5% comes from our end).

And for those of you looking for footage, we have a rapidly growing collection of royalty-free clips available for purchase and instant download.

You can check out the site at:
www.pond5.com

Feel free to contact me directly with any questions / comments.

Best,
Tom Bennett
Co-founder, Pond5.com
tom /at/ pond5.com

Edited by shedli, 03 May 2006 - 10:05 AM.

#2 Kirk Anderson

Kirk Anderson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:47 AM

awful man, all dv, no 16 or 35, nothing to choose from, $20 are you kidding me? 5 seconds of a sealion $25???!! lame man, real lame

#3 shedli

shedli
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2006 - 12:19 PM

Kirk,
Take a breath and calm down, man. The point of the post is to recruit artists interested in selling their work. We just launched the site (after a long development/testing process) and we?re still building our collection, so there?s not a huge selection available for sale -- at the moment we have around 300 clips online, about half of which are HD/HDV. So far no film sources yet, but they are very welcome.

Stop by again in a month or two and I think you?ll be pleasantly surprised.

best,
Tom

#4 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 03 May 2006 - 02:31 PM

My thoughts: If you want to cater to more professional stock footage, you should probably try to break down the footage into more price ranges and actually have it split up by format. Obviously, someone who shoots something on 16mm or 35mm is probably NOT going to be happy making $5 on footage that cost him $200+ to shoot. You're probably best specifying what aspect ratio you want the footage to be in, or making distinctions for different aspect ratios. Also, IMHO, beaming stock footage over the internet is still not feasible, especially with HD. You really should provide some option to distribute tapes or film or solid state media if you want this site to go somewhere.

Regards.

~Karl Borowski

#5 shedli

shedli
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:22 PM

Hi Karl,

Prices are set by uploaders, so they range from $10 to $200 per clip at the moment, and can go higher. It?s entirely your decision how much you want to price your work. Remember too that clips are not sold just once ? a good portfolio of footage will generate steady income for a long time to come. So if you price a clip at $25 and it gets one download a month, you?ll pay for the $200 shoot in less than a year. If you have 10 clips from the same shoot, and each of them is getting 10 downloads a month... it begins to look a lot more attractive.

We do keep track of format and other footage data, and pretty much everything is or will be searchable. For instance, you can use the checkboxes below the search field to limit your search ? select just ?HD? and only HD format clips will be returned in your search results. If you want to see everything we have, just leave the search box blank and hit ?go?.

You can also search by clip source ? try a search for ?z1u? or ?dvx?. We?re still tweaking our Advanced Search page, but it will include a lot of options for narrowing down and refining your search ? including aspect ratio, etc.

As far as the viability of web-based footage, it?s already happening. Bandwidth is opening up, and compression schemes are getting better and more widely distributed (HDV and DVCPro-HD are cases in point). To download a 10-second HDV clip takes me around 2-3 minutes, on a pretty average dsl connection. Uploading takes longer on most connections, but its still very doable (the same 10s HDV clip might take me 30 minutes to upload). However, we DO accept footage that is snail-mailed to us, so if you have a lot of footage or a slow connection, that?s the way to go.

Appreciate the thoughts. All best,
Tom

#6 dutchie

dutchie
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2006 - 02:26 AM

I think it's really a great idea, especially when more people join and use it. I'm definately going to upload and download footage in the future. :lol:

Got just one question though. You spoke of free footage, does this mean once you've downloaded stuff (and paid for it) you're free to use it as often as you like, maybe in more then one production?

Greetings from Holland... ;)

#7 Nate Downes

Nate Downes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Florida, USA

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:44 PM

Only do film, sorry. Otherwise I have a refrigerator full of stock footage of the Tampa area

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

The Slider

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC