#1 John Lightfoot

John Lightfoot

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:56 AM

After 3 years working flawlessly, my Rex 4 has started scratching the film base. It has been cleaned and maintained pretty well and I do scratch tests before shooting. But lately when taking out the shot roll, there is white flaky residue on the removable pressure pad at the gate and sure enough the lab calls to say there is "light" scratching on the most recent order.

The wear marks on the pad make me suspicous (white vertical marks on the otherwise black surface). Obviously something is not right - any suggestions on how to fix this?

A possible related symptom - The camera doesn't always load easily, the film gets hung up on the first set of sprocket teeth, chewing the sprocket holes, making me have to back the partially loaded film out and reload entirely. This makes me think the loop and/or tension might be off because of a something here.

Any advice would be appreciated - even just what else to look at or try besides cleaning thoroughly.

Thanks very much.
J

#2 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 03 May 2006 - 09:41 PM

sorry if this is a simple question but are you putting any lube on the pressure plate before loading ?

ie. nose oil

I'm no camera tech - but id this was happening to me, I'd look at the footage and find out where the scratches are happening and look at all the machanical parts that came into contact with that area - looking for damaged, worn, unaligned or simply loose parts...

If you have dust around the pressure plate and gate it will most probably be the pressure plate since the scratches are on the base ...

Good luck !

Edited by Nick Mulder, 03 May 2006 - 09:48 PM.

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post