canon 814 xl with negative film

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 toby5150

toby5150
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2006 - 05:21 PM

i have been shooting lots and lots of k 40 and now the 64t i just boght some negative film to try out.
my question is will the built in light meter adjust to the speed of the film? o

#2 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 04 May 2006 - 10:20 PM

i have been shooting lots and lots of k 40 and now the 64t i just boght some negative film to try out.
my question is will the built in light meter adjust to the speed of the film? o

The best test you can do by yourself would be to have a sample cartridge available of a film stock that you know works properly in your super-8 camera. Put your camera on a tripod and point it at a scene that has stable or non-fluctuating light. Make sure your automatic f-stop reading is in the 5.6-8.0 range so that you may have maximum f-stop range flexibility. Take out the super-8 film cartridge and replace it with the negative film stock cartridge, and see how much the f-stop changes. If the f-stop reading changes a porportional amount as compared to the ASA difference between the two films, then you know you can "trust" the negative film stock cartridge to be accurately metered by your camera.

If you discover that there is a difference or a shift that does not match the ASA difference, don't worry it that difference up to a 2/3-1f-stop over-exposure difference since negative stock handles overexposure well. You can however use the plus minus ASA adjust dial to "fine tune" the auto exposure meter on your Canon Camera, a useful but rare feature not found on most other Super-8 cameras.

#3 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 04 May 2006 - 10:29 PM

Of course, Kodak VISION2 Color Negative Film has lots of latitude, especially for over-exposure. Even a few stops of overexposure will produce very good images, although a really dense negative may be harder to print or transfer.

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Opal

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Visual Products

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC