#1 Thibaut de Chemellier

Thibaut de Chemellier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris

Posted 04 May 2006 - 06:39 AM

I wanna shoot a S-16mm short with Plus-X reversal stock 7265 and I'm wondering if there's 400ft rolls available in the US cause we only have 100ft here in France...
By the way, anybody tried to shoot S-16 B&W with print, intermediate or even sound film ?
The sensitivity of the film won't be an issue since I will shoot outside in the sun ( I hope) with Zeiss primes... B)
Does the camera should be modified if I shoot with those kind of films ?
Thanks !

Edited by TiboP', 04 May 2006 - 06:41 AM.

#2 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 04 May 2006 - 02:07 PM

I wanna shoot a S-16mm short with Plus-X reversal stock 7265 and I'm wondering if there's 400ft rolls available in the US cause we only have 100ft here in France...
By the way, anybody tried to shoot S-16 B&W with print, intermediate or even sound film ?
The sensitivity of the film won't be an issue since I will shoot outside in the sun ( I hope) with Zeiss primes... B)
Thanks !

I have a good supply of near thirty year old 7276 mag stripe Plus-X, which is still yielding good results (wedge tests at the lab came up fine) - The lab will only develop it into neg tho, so it is very grainy...

the mag stripe of sound film will cut into the super16 image area, unless you mean optical sound ? which I dont think requires any particular film type...

As for my 7276, I have finally got all the chems needed to do reversal devoloping myself here - but only have a 33' lomo tank so have to shoot very short rolls or risk cutting through footage from a 100 or 400' load ...

its nice thinking i'm using film as old as my camera :P

#3 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 04 May 2006 - 02:16 PM

Thanks !

Print, intermediate and sound negative were not designed for reversal processing. Camera films should normally be perforated short-pitch (1R-2994).

7265 is normally available in 400-foot lengths, but it may need to be shipped in if it is not widely used in a particular country. Don't know the local details that might require a minimum order quantity.

#4 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 04 May 2006 - 05:20 PM

the mag stripe of sound film will cut into the super16 image area, unless you mean optical sound ? which I dont think requires any particular film type...

Optical sound also uses the S16 image area, however unless you are using an auricon to record sound optically in camera, then you can probably use double perf and the lab might be able to make a single perf print with optical sound anyway. Im not sure if that will make things complicated tho.

love

Freya

#5 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 04 May 2006 - 07:57 PM

Optical sound also uses the S16 image area, however unless you are using an auricon to record sound optically in camera, then you can probably use double perf and the lab might be able to make a single perf print with optical sound anyway. Im not sure if that will make things complicated tho.

Should not matter. If they are printing an optical track, they have to mask off the soundtrack area on the "picture" pass, or the soundtrack area would end up fogged. Likewide the soundtrack is only pronted on the edge of the film, the rest of the sound negative is clear and must be masked off or it would overwrite the pictures.

Until Super 16 came allong, double perf was everywhere or so I am told :)

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks