Photo

Cheapest/best super-16 Bolex EBM conversion?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 NathanCoombs

NathanCoombs
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Producer
  • Bath, UK

Posted 04 May 2006 - 10:01 AM

Where can the best price for a Bolex EBM super-16 conversion be obtained?

Any experiences with this?

#2 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 04 May 2006 - 01:57 PM

Where can the best price for a Bolex EBM super-16 conversion be obtained?

Any experiences with this?

Aside from the bayonet mount itself the ebm is very similar in to the wind-ups in those parts that need modification for super 16...

try http://www.sci.fi/~a...to/s16/s16.html -

#3 Sir Alvin Ekarma

Sir Alvin Ekarma
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Director

Posted 04 May 2006 - 11:22 PM

Go to JK Camera. Jaako is a good, knowledgeable and honest guy. The price is very reasonable and his work is top-notch.

http://www.jkcamera.com/Super16.htm

Procam and Du-all are also good places but you need to contact them directly for a quote.

http://bolex-usa.com/
http://www.duallcamera.com/

Edited by Sir Al, 04 May 2006 - 11:30 PM.

#4 nathan coombs

nathan coombs
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Director
  • Exeter, UK

Posted 05 May 2006 - 12:26 PM

Thanks for the links. A few more questions if anyone can help:

1) What is a good price for a Bolex EBM on Ebay?

2) Am I right in presuming that the Beaulieu R16 cannot be converted easily or properly?

#5 Rachel Oliver

Rachel Oliver
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • London, England

Posted 05 May 2006 - 12:34 PM

2) Am I right in presuming that the Beaulieu R16 cannot be converted easily or properly?

Hi;

Check out www.bolex.co.uk Andrew Alden is very trust worthy and has decent prices for quality kit. Also go to www.lesbosher.co.uk He converts Bolex for a decent price in the UK. www.filmcamerakit.com is also worth a look.

Olly

#6 Robert Glenn

Robert Glenn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 May 2006 - 01:43 PM

www.cameraspro.com is good too..

#7 Sir Alvin Ekarma

Sir Alvin Ekarma
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Director

Posted 05 May 2006 - 02:19 PM

I think you should just get a kit from JK Camera and I suggest an SBM or Rex5 over an EBM as the EBM motor will be limiting in the long run. I have an S16 EBM that I plan on being tricked through AZ Spectrum w/ forward/reverse and multiple crystal speeds, but if I was going to do it over again I would have gotten the aforementioned SBM or Rex5 and purchased an NCS Revolution motor that will let you do timelapse, singleframe and a zilion crystal speeds http://www.intervalo...bolex/index.stm

Re: Ebay prices. I'd say anything between $700 and $1000. There's an SBM set on Ebay at the moment w/ whole gaggle of stuff and the starting bid is slightly under 1k and it also includes a motor accessory if jus shooting at 24fps is all you want. I'd snap it up right now if I were you.

Edited by Sir Al, 05 May 2006 - 02:26 PM.

#8 nathan coombs

nathan coombs
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Director
  • Exeter, UK

Posted 06 May 2006 - 05:48 AM

I think you should just get a kit from JK Camera and I suggest an SBM or Rex5 over an EBM as the EBM motor will be limiting in the long run. I have an S16 EBM that I plan on being tricked through AZ Spectrum w/ forward/reverse and multiple crystal speeds, but if I was going to do it over again I would have gotten the aforementioned SBM or Rex5 and purchased an NCS Revolution motor that will let you do timelapse, singleframe and a zilion crystal speeds

Im new to the world of Bolexes but my impression was the the EBM was a much more modern camera than the other Relex models. When it says 'electric motor' does that mean the other Bolex's are hand cranked only?!!

#9 Rachel Oliver

Rachel Oliver
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • London, England

Posted 06 May 2006 - 06:42 AM

Im new to the world of Bolexes but my impression was the the EBM was a much more modern camera than the other Relex models. When it says 'electric motor' does that mean the other Bolex's are hand cranked only?!!

Hi;

It just has a built in motor which can become a bit of a headache if things go wrong. I myself got an REX-5 (13x viewfinder) from Andrew Alden and had it converted to S16 by Les Bosher in Wales (I see your based in Exeter) I use a Tobin crystal sync motor which means it can do anything an EBM can do but at true sync speeds and is less likely to have problems, as echoed in other posts I'd suggest looking at SBM's and REX-5's with sepperate motors over the EBM....

Olly

#10 nathan coombs

nathan coombs
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Director
  • Exeter, UK

Posted 06 May 2006 - 06:50 AM

Hi;

It just has a built in motor which can become a bit of a headache if things go wrong. I myself got an REX-5 (13x viewfinder) from Andrew Alden and had it converted to S16 by Les Bosher in Wales (I see your based in Exeter) I use a Tobin crystal sync motor which means it can do anything an EBM can do but at true sync speeds and is less likely to have problems, as echoed in other posts I'd suggest looking at SBM's and REX-5's with sepperate motors over the EBM....

Olly

Ok now I'm beginning to understand - the synch unit also supplies the power on the Bolexes. Is this an external tethered unit or does it plug in to the camera? Sorry I'm not sure where to get this basic info on the web.

The REX5 looks interesting.

#11 Rachel Oliver

Rachel Oliver
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • London, England

Posted 06 May 2006 - 08:10 AM

Ok now I'm beginning to understand - the synch unit also supplies the power on the Bolexes. Is this an external tethered unit or does it plug in to the camera? Sorry I'm not sure where to get this basic info on the web.

The REX5 looks interesting.

Hi;

It screws into the side of the body and is powered by a 12v battery.

Olly

#12 gregorscheer

gregorscheer
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2006 - 11:19 PM

Hi;

It screws into the side of the body and is powered by a 12v battery.

Olly

I shoot my educational documentary films with a bolex EBM and like it. The camera is much lighter as if you schlep the extra motor and the spring wound unit plus the batteries etc. I only shoot, using a mag, as I can not change film spools every 2 minutes of footage. So I would not use the spring wound. And as I shoot all my stuff with sound I am happy to have the option to plug in my crystal sync unit. Single frame and time laps are not needed in my style of documentary work. So it is limiting to shoot with a EBM but limitation makes sense as too many options just complicate your life unnecessarily.

#13 Rachel Oliver

Rachel Oliver
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • London, England

Posted 07 May 2006 - 03:16 AM

I shoot my educational documentary films with a bolex EBM and like it. The camera is much lighter as if you schlep the extra motor and the spring wound unit plus the batteries etc. I only shoot, using a mag, as I can not change film spools every 2 minutes of footage. So I would not use the spring wound. And as I shoot all my stuff with sound I am happy to have the option to plug in my crystal sync unit. Single frame and time laps are not needed in my style of documentary work. So it is limiting to shoot with a EBM but limitation makes sense as too many options just complicate your life unnecessarily.

Hi;

Different strokes... I like the sepperate motor as I can strip the camera back down to a little clockwork mos cam for shooting on the road, what you say makes perfect sence for what you do. I think for someone who intends to use the camera for anything from crystal sync narrative to clockwork pick up shots and timelapse the REX-5's and SBM's a far more versatile.

Olly

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal