Eliott Ward

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 04 May 2006 - 03:56 PM

Hello -

Any suggestions for the best way (and gear) to produce the expressionistic effect of text scrolling up somebody's face as they look at a computer monitor.

This will be shot on HD (F-900). The office will be dark and we want green words (though they can be indistinct) to roll across the actors face.

Do they make gear for this sort of thing or am i best off getting some kind of projector?

Thanks
Eliott Ward
Los Angeles

#2 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 04 May 2006 - 07:18 PM

Hello -

Any suggestions for the best way (and gear) to produce the expressionistic effect of text scrolling up somebody's face as they look at a computer monitor.

This will be shot on HD (F-900). The office will be dark and we want green words (though they can be indistinct) to roll across the actors face.

Do they make gear for this sort of thing or am i best off getting some kind of projector?

Thanks
Eliott Ward
Los Angeles

Probably projecting the scrolling words would be easiest.

In reality, the unfocused text on a computer monitor won't normally be readable on the viewer's face. A more realistic depiction might be a reflection of the screen in eyeglasses worn by the viewer, or from the shiny surface of their eyes. Which would be reverse-text, since it is a reflection.

#3 Eliott Ward

Eliott Ward

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 04 May 2006 - 07:47 PM

Thanks John,

I know what you're saying, but it's much more fun to push reality a bit and try to use the visuals to evoke something in the viewer. A bit of expressionism is always fun. And, if the story is any good, the audience will eat it up. Then again, if people are sitting there and saying "a screen would never project onto somebody's face" well, then we're in real trouble.

I'll look into a projector of some kind.

Thanks
Eliott

#4 Hans Kellner

Hans Kellner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Other
  • Northern California

Posted 04 May 2006 - 08:16 PM

Then again, if people are sitting there and saying "a screen would never project onto somebody's face" well, then we're in real trouble.

If I saw words reflected off someone's face it would take me right out of the moment. John's idea of reflecting off the eyes is good and would make for an interesting shot.

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

CineLab

Visual Products