#1 jeff striker

jeff striker
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Student
  • san diego

Posted 05 May 2006 - 04:06 PM

any guess on the type of cameras/stocks used to shoot the "unsolved mysteries" series? maybe the look doesn't just come from the camera, but the tone is very 80's tv.

#2 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 May 2006 - 12:11 AM

As a pure guess I would say Betacam, but I have nothing to base this on. I haven't seen the show in years.
IMDB says it was 35mm, but I'd be surprised if that's true. I would have thought maybe 16mm, but I would never guess 35mm, just because of what kind of show it was.

#3 John King

John King
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Other
  • Burkesville, Kentucky

Posted 06 May 2006 - 07:25 AM

grimmett wrote:

[q]IMDB says it was 35mm, but I'd be surprised if that's true.[\q]

I would be too. It just seems 35mm would be a highly unlikely choice for a format for a TV show. Besides 'Unsolved Mysteries' has a very video-ish look to me. Although I love IMDB as much as the next fellow, and generally speaking their information is good, there are a few occasions I have found info that was in error. It seems to me that IMDB is supported by member posts (for info anyway) you or I can log on there (if we are members) and add or (I think) change information about topics, so the info's only as good as the one posting it.

Cheers!

J.M. King

#4 Michael Most

Michael Most
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 May 2006 - 08:22 AM

any guess on the type of cameras/stocks used to shoot the "unsolved mysteries" series? maybe the look doesn't just come from the camera, but the tone is very 80's tv.

Almost exclusively 16mm, although I don't recall exactly what stock. Whatever it was, it is unlikely that it is still available.

It just seems 35mm would be a highly unlikely choice for a format for a TV show.

You must be from Europe or Australia. In the US, nearly all television dramas are shot on 35mm and have been for about 50 years. There is some use of 16mm, but on network television it is by far the exception rather than the rule.

#5 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 06 May 2006 - 11:00 AM

As a pure guess I would say Betacam, but I have nothing to base this on. I haven't seen the show in years.
IMDB says it was 35mm, but I'd be surprised if that's true. I would have thought maybe 16mm, but I would never guess 35mm, just because of what kind of show it was.

---When they were doing a story near here on a slow news day, one of the local stations did a story.

They were using an NPR. I suspect they picked up crews from all over, with the crew shootig R.Stack being the main house ccrew.

---LV

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets