#1 Dave Plake

Dave Plake
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Oahu

Posted 05 May 2006 - 04:52 PM

I went through the airport and TSA hand checked all my film except one 1 roll. It was a 400' roll of kodak 5245 iso50. It was xrayed and I am wondering if I should trash it(argh!) or shoot it. Is it still good? Is such a low asa saving me?

Thanks!
Dave

#2 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 05 May 2006 - 05:05 PM

I went through the airport and TSA hand checked all my film except one 1 roll. It was a 400' roll of kodak 5245 iso50. It was xrayed and I am wondering if I should trash it(argh!) or shoot it. Is it still good? Is such a low asa saving me?

Thanks!
Dave

The low ASA has got to help at least a bit, also the hand luggage scanners aren't as bad as the cargo scanners, and people sometimes get away with it anyway. I'd be inclined to shoot something with it, if only because 5245 is so beautiful. However maybe not for shooting the really vital stuff. ;)

love

Freya

#3 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 05 May 2006 - 06:40 PM

Thanks!
Dave

One pass of an EI-50D film through a US (TSA) carry-on baggage scanner is unlikely to have fogged the film, but I would have your lab run a clip test on a few feet of film to look for any fog increase before shooting anything critical.

The CAT-type scanners used for CHECKED baggage WILL fog almost any film, regardless of speed.

#4 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 05 May 2006 - 06:46 PM

I had some 7245 and 250 asa daylight go through a carry on machine twice while traveling and having stubborn inspectors who would not listen to the "hey it's film can you hand inspect for me?". They turned out to be fine that time, but I was nervous until I saw the processed film.

Best

Tim

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS