#1 Marc_Abernathy

Marc_Abernathy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 May 2006 - 07:24 PM

as the title says, need recommendations on a flight case i can purchase now rather than wait to be custom made...

thank you in advance....

#2 Hans Kellner

Hans Kellner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Other
  • Northern California

Posted 06 May 2006 - 01:39 PM

Pelican makes some great cases. Check out the... hmm, I think the 1520 or 1550 models. You can also get a padded soft case as an accessory that fits within the hard case.

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11941 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 May 2006 - 03:21 PM

Hi,

I have found that 1550 just barely edges inside what most airlines consider a carryon, so long as it doesn't become too heavy to manhandle into the overhead locker.

Phil

#4 Will Novy

Will Novy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 May 2006 - 12:48 AM

Hi,

I have found that 1550 just barely edges inside what most airlines consider a carryon, so long as it doesn't become too heavy to manhandle into the overhead locker.

Phil

I have a pelican 1600 for my HVX. The 1550 sounds about right and as for "airline proof" you wont have to worry about opening it back up to find what looks like a exploded DVX :-D.

#5 Richard Overall

Richard Overall

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:15 PM

You're probably not looking at backpacks, but if you want something to carry on, and that is tough, I have to say, KATA make awesome bags. I have the KATA HB-207. It takes my DVX, microphone, batteries, headphones, cables, laptop in it's own protective pocket, etc etc and there's still plenty of room. It also comes with a tripod holder and weather shield cover as well. And it's tough as nails.

http://www.kata-bags...&...&ProdLine=1

There's also the BP-502 which someone at DVXUsers.com was raving about. It's bigger and he takes it as carry on in the States. I'm in Australia and our airlines are stricter with carry-on, which is why I got the 207.

However if it's going in the hold, and has to survive baggage handlers, then the pelican is the way to go.

Edited by Richard Overall, 20 June 2006 - 08:16 PM.

#6 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:03 PM

I work at Abel Cine Tech in NYC now, and We sell a very nice Pelican 1550 case that is outfitted with a custom foam cutout for a DVX100 package, including spaces for common accessories such as a mattebox, spare batteries, cables and a second charger. I don't know the price offhand, but I know we have them in stock. All our rental packages go out in these cases, shipped all the time with no problem.

#7 Scott Squires

Scott Squires
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Director

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:09 PM

Pelican also makes a case that has a softcase that fits inside (1520?). That way you can carry on the flight and then just carry the softcase in the field if you wish. DVX and basics fit (batteries, tapes) but if you want large mic and other items then you'll want something larger.

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc