Ok here goes I've worked out all the least important aspects of a short before even writing the script!
1) Rather than renting a fancy kit I am instead going to go for a s16 converted Bolex EBM and purchase 2000 ft of v2-200t in 100ft loads.
I will rent/borrow lighting, tripods, costumes, carriage, horses etc..I might also rent some primes too.
I want to be familiar with the camera and not have to relinquish too much control to my DOP.
3) Send my footage over to CineLab or Bonolabs for a 720p best-light scan straight to hard drive. I am not sure what the choices are in terms of data rate/quality but I need something I can work with directly on my G5 rather than using a proxy.
4) Finish to HD-Cam and get a post-house to make me 5-6 HDCAM tapes.
1) Sound? Best way to do this? Worth doing most of it again in post via dubbing? Bets digital capture equipment on set?
2) Dollies? How much these costs to rent is unknown to me and causing me some concern that it could be astronomical.
3) Scanning format? I am pretty much settled that 720p will capture most usable image data from the s16 format but what are the choices in terms of data rate. If DV is 3mbps and pretty fast on my G5 I presume I can go up to about 50mbs before I have major problems? I want to avoid that HDV format.
Any help appreciated.
My Workflow for my super-16mm short
No replies to this topic