#1 Brian Rose

Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 06 May 2006 - 09:53 AM

If you haven't read some of my posts below, here's my situation: I'll be attending film school in the fall to get my MFA (I've gotten a fellowship, which means free school the next three years--pretty sweet, eh?). Anyways, I own my own equipment and I was thinking about getting a super16 conversion. I figure it could give my projects that extra bit of quality. The school I'll be attending still works in reg. 16mm, which could also give my projects an edge over the other students. However, is super 16 really worth the price at this point for me, or should I instead devote that money to film, other equipment and project costs? What do you all think?
Best,
Brian Rose

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 06 May 2006 - 10:24 AM

If you haven't read some of my posts below, here's my situation: I'll be attending film school in the fall to get my MFA (I've gotten a fellowship, which means free school the next three years--pretty sweet, eh?). Anyways, I own my own equipment and I was thinking about getting a super16 conversion. I figure it could give my projects that extra bit of quality. The school I'll be attending still works in reg. 16mm, which could also give my projects an edge over the other students. However, is super 16 really worth the price at this point for me, or should I instead devote that money to film, other equipment and project costs? What do you all think?
Best,
Brian Rose

Hi,

Save your money! It's so easy to spend, earning it can be much harder!

Stephen

#3 Galen Carter-Jeffrey

Galen Carter-Jeffrey
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Student

Posted 06 May 2006 - 10:58 AM

Isnt super 16 just a wider frame? I always figured, if you have access to the equipment, use super 16. Otherwise its not really worth it to spend alot of money on.

Where are you going for grad studies? How did you get your fellowship?

#4 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 06 May 2006 - 11:08 AM

Save your money! It's so easy to spend, earning it can be much harder!

Oh Steven, truer words were never spoke. Thanks for the laugh.
:D

-Tim

#5 Brian Rose

Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 06 May 2006 - 11:56 AM

It looks like 99 percent I will be going to SIU Carbondale. (I say that because I am still waiting on hearing from FSU--I'm probably waitlisted, but if I get accepted, that might change things, but unlikely) SIU is a great, small program known for their documentary work, and their emphasis on building skills in cinematography/DP work. Their most famous alum is probably Steve James, who went on to make a little documentary called "Hoop Dreams." As for the fellowship, I cannot say for certain what all factored in to getting my fellowship, although they did tell me they were very impressed that I was self taught. It certainly helped that I had a demo reel featuring my work in 16mm. Most kids my age haven't moved beyond miniDV handheld, y'know?

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Visual Products

Opal

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport