#1 Thomas Worth

Thomas Worth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 May 2006 - 03:02 AM

I've been weighing my options for outputting 2K data to film, and realize now that an Arrilaser film-out is too expensive. The next option would be to output to camera stock using a Celco recorder, but I am unsure about the pricing. I need to know 1.) how the pricing compares to Arrilaser output, and 2.) where such services can be found in Los Angeles. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

#2 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 May 2006 - 09:59 AM

If you've taken a project all the way to the film out stage, you should try to be guided by which process makes that project look best. Neither approach is going to be cheap, but if you shop around, you should find competitive rates. Another variable which shouldn't be overlooked is the difference in quality between various facilities. You can do a short test on both systems for a reasonable price, sometimes even for free.

#3 Michael Most

Michael Most
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 May 2006 - 10:18 AM

I've been weighing my options for outputting 2K data to film, and realize now that an Arrilaser film-out is too expensive. The next option would be to output to camera stock using a Celco recorder, but I am unsure about the pricing. I need to know 1.) how the pricing compares to Arrilaser output, and 2.) where such services can be found in Los Angeles. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

There are options other than Arri Laser and Celco. And whatever you choose, your consideration should include more than just the price - you need to look at samples in order to judge what you'll be getting. I don't want to advertise here, but if you send me a private message I might be able to help you out.

At the same time, you should be aware that a percentage of the cost of film output is stock and processing, as well as manufactuing an optical sound track. These costs don't change regardless of how you create your original printing negative. If you're actually at the stage where you have true 2K data files, and you've already gone through conforming and color correction, I have to ask, why didn't you get a package for the DI from wherever you've done these steps already? Or have you only recently noted that you can't afford what you thought you could afford?

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

Visual Products

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc