5 replies to this topic

#1 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 May 2006 - 11:17 AM

The film I shot in Philadelphia two years ago will get a limited release in July. There's a trailer at this site, although the quality isn't very good. I hope the HDCAM-SR D.I. of the 35mm anamorphic original looks OK because I haven't been able to supervise the film-out.

http://www.eurocinef...ers.asp?codi=27

This will be the third feature of mine released in 2006, following "When Do We Eat?" and "Akeelah and the Bee."

#2 George Lekovic

George Lekovic
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 08 May 2006 - 12:08 PM

Hi David,

the movie is, for some reason, not playing. I have a Mac w/ Safari browser, all up to date.

Cheers,

george

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 May 2006 - 12:30 PM

Hi David,

the movie is, for some reason, not playing. I have a Mac w/ Safari browser, all up to date.

Cheers,

george

You know, someone sent me that link on my Mac laptop and when I went to the site, it played the wrong trailer for the movie, a trailer for some other movie. But when I went back to the site now at home on my PC using Netscape, I get the correct trailer... maybe they corrected it in the meanwhile, I don't know.

#4 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 May 2006 - 01:08 PM

What was it like working with the great Helen Mirren?

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 May 2006 - 01:23 PM

What was it like working with the great Helen Mirren?

She was wonderful -- incredibly intelligent, a real professional, and low maintenance. I've never worked with an actress past middle-age who only needed fifteen minutes in the make-up chair. She had no vanity, surprisingly. Never commented on how I was photographing her; she just concentrated on the scene and her performance, and she had no problem with technical issues like hitting marks or eyelines. We had a tough schedule and she never was the cause of any slow-down.

I heard later that at some dinner, she said to someone that she felt my only weakness was that I didn't fight hard enough with the director for what I believed in or wanted, but I tend to not be confrontational -- I'm a classic passive-aggressive personality type I'm afraid. And I try and avoid making a shoot serve my needs over the director's. Sometimes I worry that this is limiting my growth as a cinematographer because everytime I ask some crew member about how it was working for Conrad Hall or Caleb Deschanel, for example, I hear about their meticulousness or how they fought to get things right, etc. while I always am trying to accomodate the director and stay on schedule, so I only feel free to push my cinematography to higher levels (stretching the budget or schedule) when given some freedom by the director to do so, like when I work for the Polish Brothers.

On the other hand, even though I was asked to compromise my work on the last day of "Solstice" to try and make the crazy schedule laid out, the producer later thanked me for just sticking to my guns and trying to get each scene done correctly, but that tends to be the result of being passive-aggressive -- I sort of plod along and continue to do things the way I think they should be done, within the limits of the time and budget. Ultimately I think there is a limit to what an audience can excuse due to a lack of time, so I try and minimize how much I am compromising. On the other hand, I probably don't fight hard enough to get things perfect either.

#6 Mike Rizos

Mike Rizos
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 May 2006 - 08:17 PM

It seems like an interesting movie. There is a lot of dark scenes. And welcome back Mr. Mullen.

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery