#1 Michael Althaus

Michael Althaus
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Other
  • Santa Monica / Switzerland

Posted 08 May 2006 - 03:52 PM

Hello, I'm thinking about buying these lenses for my Arriflex 16SB ( Schneider 16mm, Schneider 25mm and Schneider 50mm). Didn't find much information about them on the internet. How do they compare to other similar lenses. Do they tend to be soft? (wide open?). Just looking for some advice.

Regards,

Michael

#2 Michael Althaus

Michael Althaus
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Other
  • Santa Monica / Switzerland

Posted 09 May 2006 - 04:08 PM

Are these lenses unknown?

#3 Fran Kuhn

Fran Kuhn
  • Sustaining Members
  • 352 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 May 2006 - 06:24 PM

Are these lenses unknown?

Michael,

See page 102 of Douglas Underdahl's The 16mm Camera Book. He says they are regarded as good lenses and deliver their best performance at t4 to t11. The earlier versions simply rotated in the camera's lens mount to focus; later models feature internal focus and are more desireable.

I have a set of these later internal-focus Schneiders I use on a pair of Arri S/B cameras. The focal lengths I have are 10, 12, 16, 25, 28, 50, 75 and 100mm. I actually keep them around because the images they produce have a nice old-school vibe that's slightly lower in contrast and very organic. Just personal preference, but I actually like shooting them close to wide open to get a softer, less clinical look than modern optics produce. They flare nicely if you shoot with the sun or a bright light source behind your subject and can also produce sharp images when stopped down.

I thought about selling the whole S/B and lens package a few years back when I got an Aaton A-Minima and some Mark III Super Speeds, but for some subjects I still like the images the older Arri/Schneider equipment produces.

#4 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 11 May 2006 - 01:00 AM

Sometime in the next month or so I will be doing another lens comparison test with the Arriflex 16S. It will include the Schneider 16, 25, and 50 primes, along with the Cooke Kinetal 12.5, 17.5, and 25 primes, and the Angenieux 12-120 T2 zoom.

What Fran is saying is the same thing I have heard from others. The only Schneider I have experience with so far has been the 10mm, and I found that quite a bit softer than the Cookes.

-Tim

Wooden Camera

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Opal

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc