4 replies to this topic

#1 SSJR

SSJR
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Student

Posted 08 May 2006 - 04:48 PM

How do I get the certificate from Kodak so I can take the film through Airline security and Customs in India and the UK?
'
Evan

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11936 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:02 PM

Hi,

You don't. Kodak are a commercial entity not a government agency (of any state) and they can only give advice, which is usually ignored if the customs inspector chooses to do so - and of course they usually so choose.

The problem is that it is in the interests of the X-ray scanner manufacturers to state that their machines cannot harm film, even though it is known to be a possibility. This advice is much more attractive to an overworked inspector than Kodak's.

Tread very carefully, be extremely polite, take along every piece of documentation you can lay your hands on, and you may be lucky.

Phil

#3 SSJR

SSJR
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Student

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:11 PM

Is there official documentation that Kodak can give me in order to help with customs.

Hi,

You don't. Kodak are a commercial entity not a government agency (of any state) and they can only give advice, which is usually ignored if the customs inspector chooses to do so - and of course they usually so choose.

The problem is that it is in the interests of the X-ray scanner manufacturers to state that their machines cannot harm film, even though it is known to be a possibility. This advice is much more attractive to an overworked inspector than Kodak's.

Tread very carefully, be extremely polite, take along every piece of documentation you can lay your hands on, and you may be lucky.

Phil

#4 Isaac Chung

Isaac Chung
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Director

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:11 PM

I had a similar problem of getting film to Rwanda since there are no local vendors of film in the country. I ended up getting film from South Africa, and they'll use a local shipping company to get the film to Kigali; I also tracked down a Rwandan film commission that will clear customs for me there. Consequently, no xrays during the entire shipping process.

I'd suggest you work with local commissions or look into the Kodak India office; I'm sure there is a vendor in the country that can ship domestically, and this will make your production much easier (as well as your airplane ride). Other than that, I hear that you should be patient at airports if you carry in film; take a changing bag and go along with the official rules.

Edited by Isaac Chung, 08 May 2006 - 05:13 PM.

#5 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:52 PM

Is there official documentation that Kodak can give me in order to help with customs.

Taking a copy of the current TSA guidelines (that specifically say that motion picture films should be hand inspected and not subjected to x-rays) can help. As others have said, patience and cooperating with the security officials helps:

http://www.tsa.gov/p...90005198004a860

You can coordinate availability of the film you need at the nearest Kodak sales office to your location by working with your Kodak representative:

http://www.kodak.com...d=0.1.4.5&lc=en

Here are other Kodak guidelines:

http://www.kodak.com...1.4.15.10&lc=en

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post