#1 Bob Hayes

Bob Hayes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Culver City, California

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:40 PM

I really like the camera but I continue to have huge issues with trying to judge exposure. This was all done with the screen on normal and all adjustments centered. I could just see a grey pluge when set to color bars.

If I hit auto iris the camera often looks to be a stop over exposed. I?ve never had this kind of in consistency with mini DV cameras which often get pretty close with auto exposure. If I set the zebras at 100% and put a white card in the shot and set the exposure to the white card the shot is really under exposed. When I shoot HD I usually exposure white at 85 to 90% so this seems really off. Also the LCD screen changes its brightness drastically with angle of view. With most of these types of cameras I usually line up perpendicular to the screen and then a slight adjustment gives me a pretty accurate idea of what I am getting. With the Z1u at perpendicular the screen is muddy the as I rotate the screen so I?m looking up slightly it gets continues to get MUCH brighter and contrasty. Like an entirely differt video screen. Any ideas on how this should be used. The footage I?ve been shooting looks great but I don?t have confidence in the screen, zebras, or metering. I think I?m going to have to get this camera into a rental house with a vector scope and experiement to see how to set exposure.

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 09 May 2006 - 04:14 AM

I think you're on the right track. You really just have to test by shooting some footage and viewing on a waveform and properly calibrated CRT (not LCD) monitor. If you can, shoot some "live" tests where you can see both the CRT and the camera's LCD, and adjust the viewing angle of your LCD until it matches (or at least approximates) the contrast seen on the LCD.

I routinely try to view "dailies" with video just to ensure that what I'm seeing in the viewfinder matches the final output as much as possible, and try to learn the quirks of the system of I'm using that way.

Glidecam

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks