Capturing to a laptop.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 peter orland

peter orland
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2006 - 08:06 PM

Is it possible to shoot from a hdv camera - Sony Jvc etc - to a laptop, PC or Mac while capturing to a different codec than the hdv codec?

An uncompressed codec?

#2 sibte hassan

sibte hassan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:11 PM

Is it possible to shoot from a hdv camera - Sony Jvc etc - to a laptop, PC or Mac while capturing to a different codec than the hdv codec?

An uncompressed codec?

It seems that you can, now the catch is that the hard drive in the laptop should be running at 7200 rpm, which is rare. Or you can have a firewire drive plugged in, i would suggest using a firewire 800 for this. Hope this helps!!!

#3 Peter J DeCrescenzo

Peter J DeCrescenzo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 620 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR, USA www.peterdv.com Blog: http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/

Posted 10 May 2006 - 06:09 PM

Is it possible to shoot from a hdv camera - Sony Jvc etc - to a laptop, PC or Mac while capturing to a different codec than the hdv codec? An uncompressed codec?

_Uncompressed_ "HD" digital video to a laptop? Not likely. To the best of my knowledge, uncompressed HD involves a datarate of >200 megabytes/sec. (depending on format & framerate). Capuring and handling this workload requires a fast computer with a fast internal bus and an array of at least four 7,200 RPM hard disk drives (or faster). The interface between the camera and computer is typically via an analog component video or a HD-SDI connection, requiring an appropriate capture card in the computer. AJA, BlackMagic (DeckLink), BlueFish and others make such cards.

As for capturing _compressed_ "HDV" digital video to a hard disk drive-based device or laptop, there are various solutions available (or soon to be available) from vendors such as Focus (Firestore), Serious Magic (HDV Rack), Shining Technologies (CitiDisk), MCE Technologies (QuickStream), and others.

#4 peter orland

peter orland
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2006 - 05:34 PM

Thanks for the input guys.

What I am wanting to do is capture from either the Sony Z1 or the JVC HD100 to a laptop, bypasing the HDV codec and recording to a different codec (sheervideo - Avid DNx - or some other more robust codec).

Is this possible?
How do you get from the camera to the laptop?

#5 Keith Mottram

Keith Mottram
  • Sustaining Members
  • 824 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 May 2006 - 09:37 AM

No is the simple answer for anything higher than SD, which in itself cannot be captured to true uncompressed SD. There are very few input interfaces available for use with a laptop, Avid make one which is SDI (mojo SDI), but I have heard that there is a great deal of jiggery pokery to get it down the firewire lead.

Keith

#6 peter orland

peter orland
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2006 - 12:17 AM

Thanks Keith.

I thought that mght be the case.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS