Can someone explain to me (focusing a lens)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ronney Ross

Ronney Ross
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:27 PM

On some of the behind the scenes stuff I have seen on tv they are using a tape measure to get distance. Please explain this concept to me because I am not getting it would using a tape measure outweigh the use of a light meter or am I in left field.

Please school me,

-Ronney Ross

#2 Mike Rizos

Mike Rizos
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:40 PM

Hi, you are even farther than left field!
The measure is used to determine focus, the light meter for exposure.

#3 John Mastrogiacomo

John Mastrogiacomo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 210 posts
  • Other
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:42 PM

On some of the behind the scenes stuff I have seen on tv they are using a tape measure to get distance. Please explain this concept to me because I am not getting it would using a tape measure outweigh the use of a light meter or am I in left field.
Please school me,

-Ronney Ross

A tape measure is used to determine the distance where to set the focusing mark on a lens (used mostly for prime lenses). A light meter is used for exposure.

For example, You may measure the focusing distance to be 8 feet. You would then set the focusing distance on your lens to 8 feet. You then measure the amount of light with your light meter. If the light meter reads 5.6 you then set the f-stop on your lens to 5.6.

Search the web or this forum for more information. :)

#4 Ronney Ross

Ronney Ross
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2006 - 10:11 PM

Thanks for the info, I completely understand the use of a light meter for exposure but by watching the short little two second clips you see on dvd's I wasn't sure if they were using a their distance to get a depth of feild reading and just setting the f/stop from that.
(But taking time to think about it I know it doesn't make sense.)
-Ronney Ross

#5 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 10 May 2006 - 07:16 PM

Thanks for the info, I completely understand the use of a light meter for exposure but by watching the short little two second clips you see on dvd's I wasn't sure if they were using a their distance to get a depth of feild reading and just setting the f/stop from that.
(But taking time to think about it I know it doesn't make sense.)
-Ronney Ross

Well there's some basis to your idea, but you had some things confused. The f-stop is always set for the desired exposure, never for the depth of field. If the depth of field needs to be changed via the f-stop, you would typically change the lighting, distance or ND filtration so that you could maintain the desired f-stop.

Perhaps you've learned from still photography, where you can easily change the shutterspeed if you want to change your f-stop for a different depth of field. With motion picture photography if you change the shutterspeed, you get motion artifacts like strobing or blurring.

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

Opal

CineLab

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc