2 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Serrins

Matt Serrins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Director

Posted 11 May 2006 - 10:47 AM

Someone mentioned to me that the Kodak office in New York sells 16mm film on 200ft cores wound down from the 400ft loads, and that these are different from the A-Minima loads (b wind not a wind). Is this the case? Maybe John Pytlak or someone can confirm or deny this (I'm not in NYC so I can't go check, and I called the office but they only knew of the A-minima), but he was pretty adamant about this being possible. I'm considering the ACL, and obviously this would be easier than winding down myself or paying a lab. Thanks.

Matt Serrins

#2 Mike Welle

Mike Welle
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:00 PM

It's funny you should mention this because I saw your previous post on this and went to Kodak's site. There I found nothing about a 200' emulsion-in core. I have a new tactic. Until I get my camera reset (that's an "if and when" statement) I think I might buy fresh raw stock off Ebay on 400' cores and wind it down onto a 200' core--if it doesn't work--at least I'll have 200' of film still on the original core. Film on Ebay in 400' loads often goes for equal or less than an A-Minima load and it is B-wind. Just a thought. Saw 400' of 7205 new factory sealed go for $40.00 the other day. Try buying that at Kodak and see what you'll pay. Sometimes your gut tells you something by looking at a picture and seeing that nice orange tape sealing around the can--you know it's never been tampered with. Trust your gut...just like Stephen Colbert said. :)

Mike Welle
Charleston, SC

Someone mentioned to me that the Kodak office in New York sells 16mm film on 200ft cores wound down from the 400ft loads, and that these are different from the A-Minima loads (b wind not a wind). Is this the case? Maybe John Pytlak or someone can confirm or deny this (I'm not in NYC so I can't go check, and I called the office but they only knew of the A-minima), but he was pretty adamant about this being possible. I'm considering the ACL, and obviously this would be easier than winding down myself or paying a lab. Thanks.

Matt Serrins

#3 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 11 May 2006 - 08:20 PM

I think I might buy fresh raw stock off Ebay on 400' cores and wind it down onto a 200' core--if it doesn't work--at least I'll have 200' of film still on the original core. Film on Ebay in 400' loads often goes for equal or less than an A-Minima load and it is B-wind. Just a thought

REmenber that if you re-spool, you have to rewind before using, or the perfs will be on the wrong side. :>

If you just need a 200ft (more or less) load, why not just buy some from "stock options" or "certifed Film" or "dr. Rawstock" or such.

100-200 ft lenths are common in ends and generaly are a touch cheaprer than 200Ft + I have had good luck with Certified film.

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

CineLab

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post