• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Adam White

Adam White
  • Sustaining Members
  • 135 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 May 2006 - 12:36 PM

I have been mighty impressed with "GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING" after finaly getting round to seeing it. Of Serra's other films I rate "UNBREAKABLE" up in my top ten and feel that "FUNNY BONES" is a little gem that didnt get much exposure outside the UK.

Anyway, with such a large back catalogue as he has on IMDB, I wondered if you guys could reccomend other Serra films that would benefit a DVD collection. . .

thanks

#2 fstop

fstop
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2006 - 12:50 PM

First and foremost check out his French work with Patrice Laconte and Chabrol, his two most regular collaborators. After that look towards the Hollywood/UK stuff such as JUDE, MAP OF THE HUMAN HEART and WHAT DREAMS MAY COME.

Serra is one of my top five living DPs- His romantic, human touch is unequalled IMO. His approach is always super simple (he makes it look effortless) but always picks the right look/tool for the job.

#3 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 May 2006 - 01:15 PM

Be careful with the 'Jude' dvd though, as far as I know there is only a 4-3 Pan & Scan disc available.

Other films of his that deserves attention are 'The Wings of the Dove', for which he got an Academy Award Nomination and 'Le Mari de la Coiffeuse' (The Hairdessers Husband)

#4 Chris Fernando

Chris Fernando
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 11 May 2006 - 01:45 PM

I have been mighty impressed with "GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING" after finaly getting round to seeing it. Of Serra's other films I rate "UNBREAKABLE" up in my top ten
thanks

A bit off topic, forgive me (didn't warrant a whole new thread), but I can't wait to see what Doyle and Shyamalan have up their sleeve for The Lady in the Water.

#5 Wendell_Greene

Wendell_Greene
  • Sustaining Members
  • 545 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 May 2006 - 03:16 PM

Be careful with the 'Jude' dvd though, as far as I know there is only a 4-3 Pan & Scan disc available.

Other films of his that deserves attention are 'The Wings of the Dove', for which he got an Academy Award Nomination and 'Le Mari de la Coiffeuse' (The Hairdessers Husband)

I have to second these great recommendations by Max. I'll add that if at all possible try to see prints of these films in a theatre , because with the exception of "The Wings of The Dove" the picture quality of DVDs leave much to be desired.

#6 Greg Gross

Greg Gross
  • Sustaining Members
  • 869 posts
  • Harrisburg,PA

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:56 PM

Does anybody know if- "The Hairdressers Husband" can be obtained? I've been trying to
get it but nobody can locate a distributor. I love how beautifully he lit and photographed
women. Focals "Cinematography" has some still shots of "The Hairdressers Husband"and
a drawing of the one of the sets and light set up is shown. Hey Wendell have you heard any
good Hitchcock stories lately(humorous)?

Greg Gross

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Wooden Camera

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

CineTape

Opal

Ritter Battery