Directing a Music Video

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MrBuildersTea

MrBuildersTea
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2006 - 01:38 PM

[font=Verdana]Hi there

I was wondering if you could help. I have mainly directed documentaries and lifestyle TV inclusing music performances for the main channels in the UK. Recently i have been asked by a company to direct a music video. I have a budget of £7,000 all in to get the job done. The treatment and storyboards have been given the greenlight, I have my concept in sight, I work well with crews , actors etc, what I don't understand is shooting on HD or Varricam. The video is supposed to be very beautiful, Rn B/Pop with attitude, bold, sexy, gorgeous, shot in 2-3 interior locations ( Think Pussycat Dolls). Location 1 will have a light 'girl next door gwen steffani'/bubblegum pop feel to it and Location 2 will be more of a sexy/attitude club feel. I wont be having any CG stuff, a lot of it will be performing to camera and interacting with other characters as well as dancing etc. I will be employing a DP to shoot anyway but i was wondering if someone can explain the following:

With this kind of budget what kind of camera would suit the rich 'r n b ' look with snappy pop/bubblegum moments

What lenses would suit this type of project.

Can someone explain frame rates in lay man terms, e.g slow mo , over cranking etc

How do I shoot slow mo but the artists lips appear at a regualr speed

For a 3 and a half minute video should I stick to HDCAM or maybe try Super 16mm ( 15 rolls?). I would like lots of cuttaways

Where can I get a Pole cam so I can shoot from above and sweep past crowds in the Club scenes

Any info on these topics is welcome. Thank you so much in advance

Regards

Mr Builders Tea

#2 Ram Shani

Ram Shani
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • isreal

Posted 15 May 2006 - 06:29 AM

it will be hard to get the MTV R&B look on video without doing good post . all the MTV staf shot on 35mm and goes to POST WORK oin flam or inferno etc. so i think you should at list think of after effect or samething.

if you have the budget go for super16 or HDCAM.

LOOK FOR GOOD DP GOOD ART DIRECTOR GOOD STYLING

if you dont have the budget i would go for the hvx+mini35 its hd - varibel speed up to 60fps

for lip sinc in slow you need to slow the song you can do it on qbase or i think in same editing software

#3 Gordon_Shumway

Gordon_Shumway

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:18 AM

I could be wrong, but I believe for the slow-mo lip synching look you need to speed the
song up for playback on set. Because you need to shoot higher framerates (overcranking)
to achieve the slow mo video... ie, all film plays back at 24 fps, but if you want the footage
to play back at 50% speed you need to shoot at 48fps in camera, because it will play back
at 24fps when projected. So you're doubling your framerate. You need to double the playback
speed of your song to 200% speed so your actors/singers are singing it twice as fast, or in
accordance to your doubled framerate. Then, when you play it back at 24fps, you're also
going to lay the track under at it's normal speed, or half that which was played back on set.
Half speed for the video, half speed for the audio.

If I'm wrong about this, please let me know...

#4 Olex Kalynychenko

Olex Kalynychenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine

Posted 15 May 2006 - 10:26 AM

If you wish good quality music video, you need use 35 mm shooting with digital post production.
But, a budget of 7000 pound sterling ( near $13200 ) super low for this technology.

But, You can choose Super 16 camera and telecine transfer to video.
For Ukraine, your budget for 3.5 minutes music video - limited, but, possible.
We shooted a few music video with similar budget.
We can create and recording of sound tracks too.

If you will interesting a some price of budget of shooting, i can give you.
( rent of Arri 16SR3 with lenses and minimum grip $650 per day.
1x 120 roll of Kodak $160..180
processing $0.75 / 1 m
telecine service 3 x 120m rolls near one hour of transfer, $350

But, i worry , for UK this is can be very low budget
Possible, you will need choose HDCAM, but, i prefer use cine cameras.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

CineTape

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Tai Audio

Technodolly