4 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 13 May 2006 - 01:52 PM

Greetings,

I thought other low budget film shooters would like to see this sound blimp I built. Basically a sound proof box on an aluminum plate, that's it.

The camera sits on the plate and the mounting 3/8 screw comes up through the bottom and into the camera base. Then the plate and camera go on the tri-pod so you still have full access to the pan and tilt.

Once the box is on you can't touch the camera controls, monitoring is done via video assist, and you roll the camera via a remote cable that comes out the bottom. All cables to the camera come up through the base so the case stays free of any cables.

To change mags and lenses you just lift up the case and you have free access to the camera, lifting the case off takes two seconds.

If you're not shooting sound you leave the camera on the plate all day, and shoot as normal. When a sound shot comes up, pop on the case.

An optical flat goes over the front where the lens peeks out, to make it very quiet.

The case is 1/2 plywood, lined with an advanced light weight sound proof material. There is no lead! The sound proof material is made up of foil, foam, and rubber. It's pretty much air tight when it sits on the base and has the glass in front.

Obviously this system has limitations, I would not want to lug it around a forest. But for indoor locations it's fine. You can essentially put any camera inside. You see it pictured here with a IIIC and prime lens. So it will fit any of the Arri II models, Arri III, and even a Konvas, no problem.

I was going to use this on a shoot, but a chance to buy a silent camera came up so I took the opportunity. But it would have worked for my shoot if needed.

If you have a noisy MOS camera that you want to use for sound, this design is an option for you.

Yes this is for low budget people, please spare me, "Oh my gosh you would not want to show up on some ones set with that thing!!!" I know that, it's for indie people trying to make their way with little money to rent or buy a silent running camera.

R,

Attached Images

• Barney_1.jpg
  • Barney_2.jpg
  • barney_inside.jpg

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 13 May 2006 - 02:06 PM

Greetings,

I thought other low budget film shooters would like to see this sound blimp I built. Basically a sound proof box on an aluminum plate, that's it.

The camera sits on the plate and the mounting 3/8 screw comes up through the bottom and into the camera base. Then the plate and camera go on the tri-pod so you still have full access to the pan and tilt.

Once the box is on you can't touch the camera controls, monitoring is done via video assist, and you roll the camera via a remote cable that comes out the bottom. All cables to the camera come up through the base so the case stays free of any cables.

To change mags and lenses you just lift up the case and you have free access to the camera, lifting the case off takes two seconds.

If you're not shooting sound you leave the camera on the plate all day, and shoot as normal. When a sound shot comes up, pop on the case.

An optical flat goes over the front where the lens peeks out, to make it very quiet.

The case is 1/2 plywood, lined with an advanced light weight sound proof material. There is no lead! The sound proof material is made up of foil, foam, and rubber. It's pretty much air tight when it sits on the base and has the glass in front.

Obviously this system has limitations, I would not want to lug it around a forest. But for indoor locations it's fine. You can essentially put any camera inside. You see it pictured here with a IIIC and prime lens. So it will fit any of the Arri II models, Arri III, and even a Konvas, no problem.

I was going to use this on a shoot, but a chance to buy a silent camera came up so I took the opportunity. But it would have worked for my shoot if needed.

If you have a noisy MOS camera that you want to use for sound, this design is an option for you.

Yes this is for low budget people, please spare me, "Oh my gosh you would not want to show up on some ones set with that thing!!!" I know that, it's for indie people trying to make their way with little money to rent or buy a silent running camera.

R,

Hi Richard,

Its good to see a new company show a working prototype! I wonder how many people will pay a deposit for one!

Stephen

#3 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 13 May 2006 - 02:15 PM

LOL! Stephen you sneeky boy :-)

Some folks won't find your comment too funy, seems you are making reference to some sort of new HD camera we've been hearing some buzz about?

But you raise a good point, maybe I can sell these things, heck I have so much time on my hands.

R,

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 13 May 2006 - 02:37 PM

LOL! Stephen you sneeky boy :-)

Some folks won't find your comment too funy, seems you are making reference to some sort of new HD camera we've been hearing some buzz about?

But you raise a good point, maybe I can sell these things, heck I have so much time on my hands.

R,

Richard,

I think there is enough space for a raid to record the 4k uncompressed signal.

Are you going to call the company 'Black'?

Stephen

#5 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 13 May 2006 - 04:16 PM

Hmmmm, good idea, "Black."

Although the Boddington sound blimp can come in an array of colours.

R,

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

CineTape

Visual Products

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

Abel Cine

CineLab