#1 Erdwolf_TVL

Erdwolf_TVL
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 13 May 2006 - 04:40 PM

I have today hand processed my first cartridge of Ektachrome 64T. This was done using borrowed equipment and chemicals as part of a short course that I am doing. There were two 50 foot spools inside the LOMO tank.

One of the films (bottom) came out perfect. The other (top) has a 2mm think green tint along the sound-track edge. Its width is farily costant. It does not run for the entire length of the film, and seems to fade-in and fade-out completely randomly.

There is nothing wrong with my camera, and I cannot think that there is something wrong with the chemicals (why did the other film develop ok?) I can also assure you that I did not load the film upside down into the spool.

Any ideas what I did wrong in this case, so I can watch out for it?

#2 Richard Tuohy

Richard Tuohy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Other
  • Daylesford, Australia

Posted 13 May 2006 - 06:29 PM

I process a lot of 64t in Lomom tanks. Given it was the top roll, and it was the non-sporcket edge, I would say it was alost certainly caused by insufficient chemical coverage during one of the baths. If you are confident that your poored enough in, another factor is the spiral floading up and sticking out of the liquid. This is often caused by air bubbles I believe. I rock the spiral east/west, north/south a few times, then a few slightly stiff jolts up/down ... being carful not to use too much force as this can dislodge the film in the spiral. You can generally get a sense of whether the spiral is floating or not from just seeing if you can push the spiral down by the handle.
Richard

#3 Erdwolf_TVL

Erdwolf_TVL
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 14 May 2006 - 03:12 PM

I process a lot of 64t in Lomom tanks. Given it was the top roll, and it was the non-sporcket edge, I would say it was alost certainly caused by insufficient chemical coverage during one of the baths. If you are confident that your poored enough in, another factor is the spiral floading up and sticking out of the liquid. This is often caused by air bubbles I believe. I rock the spiral east/west, north/south a few times, then a few slightly stiff jolts up/down ... being carful not to use too much force as this can dislodge the film in the spiral. You can generally get a sense of whether the spiral is floating or not from just seeing if you can push the spiral down by the handle.
Richard

This is very useful advice. Thanks!

#4 Olex Kalynychenko

Olex Kalynychenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine

Posted 15 May 2006 - 03:41 PM

There were two 50 foot spools inside the LOMO tank.

One of the films (bottom) came out perfect. The other (top) has a 2mm think green tint along the sound-track edge.

I agree with idea of Richard .
You had one or a few solution of chemistry with small volume.

The user manual of LOMO, UPB-1A ( S8/16 x 50 ft ) tank wrote :
- for processing one Super 8 film need 0.85 L
- for processing two Super 8 films need 1.3 L
- for processing one DS8. D8, 16 mm films need 1L
- for processing two DS8, D8, 16 mm films need 1.8 L
- for processing one 35 mm film need 1.7 L.

From my personal experience, i use 2 L for processing two Super 8 or two 16 mm films.

The processing of Ektachrome film need high stability of temperature of solution.
If you take cold tank with film and flood solution, the temperature solution will diminish.

That's why, i use pre-bath of water with temperature of first B&W developer.
From one side this is step stabilize of temperature film and tank body , from other side, the emulsion get soaked.

You need move off air-bladders from emulsion, I knock on handle of spiral.

The technology of rotation of spiral: The fast one or two turn of spiral, waiting of 10 sec.
The technology of rotation of spiral will influence on color balance of film.

The Slider

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc