Photo

Super-8 Color Positive Print Stock... Where?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Clive Tobin

Clive Tobin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Spokane Valley, WA, USA

Posted 14 May 2006 - 07:42 PM

Andec in Germany is making color positive prints by contact from super-8 original negative. You might laugh, but with Kodak starting to sell appreciable amounts of super-8 negative there is some demand for making prints, to show the material on a real film projector on occasion. Also many users don't seem to realize that negative is not suitable for direct projection.

Anyone know where they are getting the print stock?

Before Mr. Pytlak pipes up and says that Kodak sells it, I would like to point out that yes, they do, but they only sell it in 158,000 foot lots and it is the wrong perforation style, 1-3 instead of 1-4, though in the 16mm width.

158,000 feet is too much for me to buy for an emerging market.

1-3 format is fine for continuous optical reduction, where two prints are made at a time via a beam splitter but 1-4 is what is needed for contact printing from a single strand original. You can make two prints, one in each direction, perhaps from two different negatives, and the 16mm width is what the labs want to see for processing.

It might be possible to buy the 35mm width stock and have Super8 Sound slit the center inch to three 8mm width strands and reperforate it, as they do for a variety of exotic emulsion types. I have not yet received a quote for how much this would cost. Also they are nervous about perforating polyester base stock. Also my intial feelers for somewhere to get the prints processed indicates that labs have never developed actual 8mm width color positive, it is always 16mm or 35mm wide.

Fuji doesn't have positive with super-8 perfs, and Agfa is still laughing too hard to reply.

I would really like to have genuine Kodak slitting and Kodak perforating.

So is Andec getting stock from some mysterious source behind the former Iron Curtain, or what? As a possible future competitor they might not want to tell me if I ask them, also I don't speak German.

Another question: Is Kodak perforating the super-8 negative to the 1R-1664 pitch suitable for continuous contact printing, or to the usual 1R-1667 as for home movie film?

This isn't an urgent project yet since I sold my previous super-8 contact printer but I can build another, and I have figured out a cheap way to make a color additive lamphouse.

#2 Erdwolf_TVL

Erdwolf_TVL
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 15 May 2006 - 01:03 PM

As far as I am aware, Andec slit and perforate their own printing stock from bulk. I am 99.999% certain that this is Kodak stock. The results are unbelievable, imho...

#3 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 15 May 2006 - 01:32 PM

Mr. Tobin: AFAIK, sales volumes of color print film perforated 16mm Super-8 (1-4) 2R-1667 have not been sufficient to justify maintaining a catalog or FTO specification for that "niche" format. As you note, most Super-8 prints are made in an optical reduction printer using beam-splitter optics, and would use the (1-3) perforation configuration, that is carried as an FTO item (CAT 1807858).

I suspect that the film in cartridges is perforated long pitch 1R-1667, as traditionally used for Super-8. If the cameras are designed for that perforation pitch, changing to 1R-1664 short pitch could be problematic in some cameras. I am checking with our manufacturing folks to ascertain the current practice.

#4 Clive Tobin

Clive Tobin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Spokane Valley, WA, USA

Posted 15 May 2006 - 05:48 PM

... I suspect that the film in cartridges is perforated long pitch 1R-1667, as traditionally used for Super-8. If the cameras are designed for that perforation pitch, changing to 1R-1664 short pitch could be problematic in some cameras. ...

I doubt if a .0003" pitch difference would bother a camera, with or without sprockets. It might throw off the frameline position by .0006". The claw is not a close fit vertically in the perforation so you would not have to worry about hitting the top of the next hole.

Sounds like I would need a near-straight printing channel instead of a 72 tooth printing sprocket if the pitch is the same as the print stock. Though if someone other than Kodak is perforating it, who knows? Thanks.

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

CineTape